1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quietest 750 GB hard drive for HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by relayer, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. relayer

relayer New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Hi all-

I'm getting a new HR20 next week to supplement a failing HDTivo. I'm thinking of getting a 750GB (or 1TB) hard drive, possibly _internal_, to add to the capacity from the get go. I'm aware I would have to break the sticker for an internal drive. If I went the external route, I'm aware that would replace rather than add to the supplied internal drive. Does anyone have advice about the quietest drives out there?

Thanks for your help.

2. Richard Chalk

Richard Chalk Legend

Jan 4, 2004
    I am using two of the Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750 GB, which are external, and it is almost impossible to even tell they are running.

The last time I looked, the internal 750 GB were running right around $200. Right now, the external is $235 shipped at Buy.com,

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204110105

and an eSATA cable should run about another $10. I would highly recommend this approach, since I have had two HR20 failures, and consider the warranty very important!

3. elixir26

elixir26 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    You'll see both my external setups in my signature. They are both barely audible only when fast forwarding or rewinding at speeds over 1x. Of the two the AZIO chatters more but is not what I would call loud.

4. tekboi

tekboi New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Just added the drive via usb, the only cable that came with the free agent pro drive, with your e sata cable, does it show you have more space. or do you have to fill up too 100% and then it records to the 2nd drive? Thanks

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    YOu cant use USB connected drives with the HR20's, you have to use eSATA. The best practices procedure is, restart the recorder, and when it is rebooting, pull the power plug, connect up your eSATA drive, turn it on, then plug the HR20 back in. The eSATA drive can only be attached with your HR20 unplugged, it is not hot pluggable. Also, when you hook up an eSATA drive, it uses only the external drive, it theoretically disables teh internal drive, until you unplug the HR20 again, and disconnect the eSATA, at that point it reverts to using the internal drive again.

6. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Does the internal drive stop spinning? The stock drive on the HR20 is noisy, and this may be a solution if it stops spinning.

7. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    Nope. It wastes electricity spinning and generating excess heat.

Think green, answer the call, spin down the drive! :lol:

8. Richard Chalk

Richard Chalk Legend

Jan 4, 2004
    I find that you don't have to unplug. If the receiver is running, just plug in the external drive, and then do a "restart recorder" from the menu.

The receiver does not react to the external drive until it is restarted, so this does not cause any problems.

Similarly, unplugging the external drive, and then restarting from the menu will access the internal drive again.

9. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I wonder if one can disconnect the internal drive without causing problems (other than voiding the warranty, etc.)

10. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    You probably could with out causing problems except voiding the warranty like you said. But if you were going to go ahead and open it up and void the warranty you might as well go ahead and save the money and install an internal drive.

11. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Seagate Free Agent Pro 750mb external drive is extremely quiet. I can't even tell it's spinning. About the only complaint I have with it is that is does get somewhat hot.

12. Richard Chalk

Richard Chalk Legend

Jan 4, 2004
    Just as a footnote, the 3 HR20-100's that I have do not have warranty stickers, and use standard Torx screws for the cover.

The HR20-700 I received for a replacement did have the sticker.

YMMV

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006

I recall reading a post from someone here, can't find it though, that said they disconnected the internal drive after adding an external with no problems.

And as Richard pointed out the 100's don't have the warranty sticker so if you have a 100 who would know if you did it? :)

14. bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007

So, what happens to the recordings that are on your internal drive when you attach an external eSATA drive??? Do you lose them?

15. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    No. They stay on the internal drive and if you remove the external drive the HR20 will reboot using the internal drive and you will be able to watch them.

16. bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007
    Ah.. Ok. But you are not able to access them while the external is in.

17. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    correct

18. aamsel

aamsel New Member

May 12, 2007
    A friend looked at how the internal drive is fastened into the case.
    He determined that it was too much of a PITA to replace it, and decided to use the Freeagent Pro external instead.

Has anyone successfully replaced the internal drive?

Andrew

19. jkk4

jkk4 Cool Member

Jan 15, 2007
    With this Seagate 750GB Hard drive, how much HD recording time do you get vs. my current Hard Drive in my HR20=700?

jkk

20. Bish

Bish Mentor

Apr 20, 2007
    I replaced the internal in one of mine. It was a little more time consuming than on a tivo version. The drive is enclosed in a metal cage that is "soft connected" using rubber grommets and plastic puch-lock connectors. Be careful pulling the front panel. There is a ribbon cable double taped to it. Just go slow and analyze what you are taking apart.

I even replaced it with the original when the second tuner went south a month after use. No problem with the return so long as it is returned to original condition. I'm not saying they approve; I'm just saying as long as it is complete and intack and doesn't look like somebody pried it apart, I don't think they would complain IMO.

BTW-It slightly more than doubles space. (300Gb came in mine)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.