1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quirk when setting up a series link

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by brianp6621, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brianp6621

brianp6621 Legend

Jun 13, 2007
    I have noticed another thing that is a little screwy about the HR20.

When you got to set a show to record for series link, it will record that episode even if it does not match the criteria of the series link? Does anyone else see this?

For instance, if I select an episode of a show, and it is a repeat, but I use that episode to set up a series link for first run only, it will still record that episode, which is a repeat.

Also, is there a way to remove a single recording from the todo list without cancelling the series link?

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Yep, always has recorded the one you used to set it up.
    And I believe you can -- on the todo list and cancel a single episode..

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005

How are you setting the Series Link?

If it is via pressing the R twice..... then this is what is happening.

When you press the R the first time, you are scheduling the single episode.
    The 2nd R, sets the Series Link... but doesn't remove the single episode.

If you use the GUI menus: RECORD ALL, then it should not schedule that first episode, if it doesn't match your criteria

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    If you want to cancel a upcoming record, from the to-do list press "stop" once. That will cancel that record and leave your series link intact.

5. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    Yes...happens when you enter from the GUIDE side of things. Happened to me last night. Not that big of a deal to me as I could delete it later.

6. brianp6621

brianp6621 Legend

Jun 13, 2007

Thanks for that.

This is where the HR20 still has some work to do. Consistency/intuitive design.

Everywhere else I press - - to delete. Here I have to use the stop button to delete.

It should be designed such that you CAN'T delete a series link from the todo list. The todo list should be for looking at and managing individual events. Leave the series link management to the prioritizer. (or just like TiVo)

7. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    I'll admit that it's a tad inconsistent, but I think it's great. I belive I'm the one that discovered it (on accident of course) and posted about it quite awhile ago. I think it's very handy. For example, my wife has an SL set up for Oprah (that's my story and I'm sticking to it), but it wants to record the 4 pm and 1:35 am one everyday. So I just go in and manually delete the 1:35 am one from the To Do List. With the STOP method, it's pretty easy to do.

And I just reread your message and the stop method doesn't delete the SL, just that episode.

8. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    While I do think "- -" should also be allowed to delete in the to-do list.

I think when you hit R on an item in todo list, it processes it just like it would if you hit the R on the GUIDE.. (that woudl be the third R, and thus eliminates the series link)

9. brianp6621

brianp6621 Legend

Jun 13, 2007
    I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. Every where else - - deletes whatever you are on. When you are in the todo list, you are on an individual episode therefore I argue - - should cancel that episode, not delete the series link.

If you do it how I suggest the - - is the only delete key vs having 2 and confusing things further. You lose no functionality and decrease confusion/mistakes.

10. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    So - - deletes a SL in the To Do List? If so, that's the first I heard of that.

Yes, STOP is a little inconsistent because I don't even think it's in the manual. But I liken STOP in the To Do List to stopping the recording so it makes a little sense to me. I don't know, I just like that there is a quick and easy way to stop a recording when viewing the TDL. I'd be happy with - - stopping a recording in the To Do List to keep things consistent though and only being able to delete a SL in the Prioritizer.

11. brianp6621

brianp6621 Legend

Jun 13, 2007
    Yep, I've deleted many a SL before I realized what I was doing when I was pruning the ToDo list.

12. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    Ah, well then that is very unintuitive then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.