1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R-15 300 keeps losing 2nd tuner

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by martiney, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martiney

martiney Cool Member

Sep 5, 2006
    I have two R-15 300's in the house (both just over 1 year old). The one in the bedroom works just fine.. but the one in the livingroom keeps losing signal on the 2nd tuner.

Turning it off and swapping the SAT cables fixes it for a random amount of time (sometimes a day... sometimes 10 minutes)... then, it loses signal again in the 2nd tuner. Sometimes it loses signal altogether on both tuners.

I did a signal strength check on both tuners (when they both "work") and one tuner gets 95-99's on most satellites... while the other tuner gets 95-99's but with about HALF as many satellites showing signal strength (ie, half in the 90's and half 0's).

I checked the cables from the dish to the DVR and everything appears to be connected correctly. None of the center conductors are loose or bent. I even swapped the DVRs... which, I would have hoped would give me problems that tracked either the DVR or the cables... but oddly enough it fixed the "broken" DVR. (ie, I did the signal strength check on both tuners... and they both showed the same number of satellites in the 90's). And... the bedroom DVR shows the correct number of sats in the 90's if connected in the livingroom on both tuners (makes it very hard to say if it is a bad cable or a bad DVR).

Then... I move the "broken" DVR back to the livingroom... and it does the same thing again... (the 2nd tuner shows half as many satellites in the 90's). The DVR from the bedroom shows the correct number of sats in the 90's on both tuners no matter where it is connected.

If it weren't because the bedroom one has the shows my wife and I watch... I'd leave them swapped... and see if the "broken" one will work for extended periods of time in the bedroom... or see if the "bedroom" DVR will break in the livingroom.

I called DTV and they are sending me a replacement DVR... I just wanted to know if anyone has seen this problem? It is frustrating because I can't narrow it down to cables or DVR. I guess I will know in 3-4 days when I get the new DVR...

I guess I can say it was operator error on my part (ie, maybe I am not connecting them the same when I swap?)... there are only so many permutations I can try until I go insane though... I almost busted out a torque wrench to make sure those cables are nice and tight.

Hehe

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    How long are your SAT lines between the R15 and the Multiswitch/Dish

3. martiney

martiney Cool Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Maybe 10-12 feet of cable... the dish is mounted on the wall right next to the entertainment center.

The multiswitch is outside with the dish.

4. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I'd leave them swapped for a day or two to see what happens. I understand you don't want to because of the shows you watch/record on it, but you are going to lose them by installing a new R15 anyway.

BTW, check to make sure the center conductor of the cable sticks out about 1/8" past the end of the connectors. A center conductor that is a little too short can cause this problem (as can other things).

5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Obviously, if the "broken" DVR becomes "unbroken" when you move it to the other room, the problem is PROBABLY not with the DVR but the signal(s) it is receiving.

Having said that, you have a choice of three items: cabling, multiswitch, or dish

Since the other "never broken" DVR seems to be OK, chances are the dish itself (the LNB's and the aiming) are OK. Suspicion thus falls on the multiswitch and/or the cabling to the location where the unit fails.

One weird possibility might be the DC voltage the "broken" unit is sending to the multiswitch to tell it which satellite and which transponders (horizontal or vertical) to select. It might be out of spec just enough so that it doesn't work in the one location but due to varying cable lengths it does at the other!! If that or some variation is the problem, the replacement unit you requested will probably fix the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.