1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

r-16 Hard Drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by admdata, Apr 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. admdata

admdata Legend

Apr 22, 2011
    A Question I have read on this forum that you can't install anything bigger then a 160gb Hard drive in a Directv r-16 DVR, if the drive goes (which mine is fine), can I just put in a new 160gb hard drive that I buy, without have to move over the software.

Note: I have upgraded a drive on a Hughes HDVR2 directivo, and had to install the OS on the new drive before it would work.

I am just curious, and yes I know it will violate the directv TOS, I have had my r-16 apart before anyhow, for cleaning purposes.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Why bother? If your R16's drive dies, just call DirecTV and get a replacement DVR. Even without the protection plan it's only ~$20 for shipping. You can't buy a replacement drive for less than that.

3. admdata

admdata Legend

Apr 22, 2011
    that is true it does make the most $$$ sense

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I think you can actually put in a drive up to 250GB, however it will only use 160GB. It won't work with a drive larger than 250 at all. The R15 was that way, so I'm guessing the R16 is also (but don't know for certain).