1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R. I. P. Don Knotts

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Laverne, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    And yet another.......

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,186060,00.html

2. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Go ahead Barney, use your bullet. :(

3. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    I'm afraid Mayberry was not quite "hip" enough for me at the time. My fondest memories of Don were as the man on the street on the old Steve Allen show who was so nervous he couldn't even remember his name!:lol: Along with other comic legends like Tom Posten, Bill Dana and Louie Nye, that show set the comedic standard for televison to this day with many of the skits and plot devices still in the tool box for everything from SNL and Seinfeld to Everyone Loves Raymond and Will & Grace to Leno, Letterman, Conan and Stewart!

Knotts translated his genius to other venues perhaps more successfully then some of his other contemporaries and it is rare tribute to have done so with such ease and grace. In the precess he became beloved not only as Barney Fife, but as the amnesiac trembler on the Allen show, Mr. Limpet, and myriad other characters that brought joy to young and old!

Cheers Don! We all know your name, even if for effect sometimes you couldn't remember yourself!;)

4. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Another sad passing. Don Knotts was one of the comic greats.

5. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Mayberry may not have been "hip", socially relevant, or even set in the real American south of the era. But it was darned funny. And one of the funniest things about it was the deputy sheriff. Don Knotts' characterization of Barney Fife was a comedy masterpiece.

6. Mar 1, 2006 #6 of 12
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    FYI, Larry King will interview Andy Griffith and Ron Howard on CNN Tonight (Wed, 3/1) at 9p

7. Mar 1, 2006 #7 of 12
    pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    I heard on one interview, that many sheriff's departments had told them - they had a "Barney Fife" on the department. Don Knotts was just plain funny - he enjoyed making people laugh and was good at it. And he did it without insulting you, or trying to embarrass you with how many 4-letter words he could work together into a sentence. Just good comedy.

I think TV-time is running Mayberry reruns - watched a few last night. Still funny.

8. Mar 1, 2006 #8 of 12
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    My personal favorite episode was the one in which Barney buys a used car from a con woman. Although Knotts' take on Barney learning that the Sheriff of Nottingham was the bad guy in the legend of Robin hood was another great moment.

9. Mar 2, 2006 #9 of 12
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I remember Don Knotts in an interview talking about how some producers wanted to do a Mayberry reunion show but that it was "all insult humor" and everyone (Don, Andy and the crew) decided they wanted no part of it.

10. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    A number of churches have used episodes from "The Andy Griffith Show" for discussion starters in adult classes.

11. Terry740

Terry740 AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    Mayberry may not have been the true south but often while I was growing up ,I wished it was.

12. wkomorow

wkomorow DBSTalk Club Member

Apr 22, 2002
    TVLAND will feature a Don Knots weekend, highlighting his roles in both Andy Griffith and Three's Comany.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.