1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R10 HDD about to die?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Kansas Zephyr, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    About once a week now, I'll power up the TV to find a frozen pixelated image...the record light on...and the R10 completely unresponsive to any remote, or set-top button press.

Pulling the plug, waiting a tad, and powering back up resolves the issue for a few days...maybe a week or two, if I'm lucky.

I'm assuming the hard drive is failing. Y'all agree/disagree?

I have the protection plan...but just how often must the R10 fail before D* will swap it? (I assume the R10 is "disposable"?)

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Sounds like it's on its last leg

3. soccergrunt

soccergrunt AllStar

Nov 17, 2005
    Likely that HDD is failing. If you want to keep the Tivo DVR, you can get replacement HDD at www.weakness.com. Wipes out everything and you start all over, but it is an option if you don't want the Directv DVR. If Directv replaces it, it will be with a directv DVR.

I have replaced my HDD in my R10 for my wife when it was failing. She insists that we keep one DVR as a Tivo for her suggestions and wishlists.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    NOTE:

DirecTV and/or TiVo is currently having a problem with the servers that allow the TiVo DVR service to be activated. Essentially, when you try to call out from the TiVo to activate the service, the server isn't responding. This means that, right now, no one can activate/reactivate TiVo service for DirecTiVos.

DirecTV is working with TiVo on a resolution. No idea on a timeframe.

5. Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    Does this apply to me, since this R10 has been active for a couple of years now? (This time...it was in mothballs for a while before its latest use.)

6. soccergrunt

soccergrunt AllStar

Nov 17, 2005
    Since your R10 is already active it shouldn't effect you. If you decide to replace the HDD with a new one, the box is already active so it shouldn't matter. If you buy a new Tivo DVR from Weaknees, then it would be a problem.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If you replace the HDD with a new one that is copied from the old one, you'll be okay. If you replace the HDD with a new one that has a new TiVo build on it (or if you do a Clear and Delete Everything), then you have to reactivate, which you currently can't do.

8. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I have one solution... swap owned for owned with an HR24 w/ AM21 :D

9. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    This is ridiculous. I have a HR10-250 which is essentially a normal box now that I can not activate the DVR service. wow. :rolleyes:

10. Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    Since I have the PP...my owned R10 would be replaced with an "owned" DVR from D*?...or a leased one?

I've noticed that I have the $99 HD DVR discount available. But, I was waiting until I retired the analog TV using the R10 before I pulled that trigger.

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Owned for owned with the protection plan, but you would get an SD DVR for an R10. R15, R16, or if you were lucky, an R22. Tell them you really like VOD with your other ones and maybe you will get lucky. The R22 will unlock to HD and bam! free HD upgrade. :)