1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15-100 Model Owners

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dsstalkcom, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsstalkcom

dsstalkcom AllStar

Oct 14, 2006
    ok, please share the good, the bad, the ugly of this new R15-100 model. just got 2 R15-100 for 2 days so far.

good:
    nice front panel color lights
    faster menus
    faster reboot and acquiring signal

bad:
    no season pass
    search feature is terrible compare to before
    menus are more difficult and less intuitive
    remote buttons are smaller

other comments:
    how come none of the DVRs has component. only have S-Video?
    first time i plug these in, it only detected 1 tuner and failed on the other. CSR could not help and didnt know the problem. took awhile, but i hit the red reset button and it picked up both tuners ok. what the hell!!! who QAed this stuff before it got released!

:confused: :confused:

2. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Since you referenced the 'Season Pass', you must have been using TiVo prior to getting the R15.

1) The 'Season Pass' is now called a 'Series Link'. You can set one by simply perssing the record button twice on the program in the Guide, or through the menus if you want to specify additonal commands like recording extra time.

2) Not a big user of the search, so i won't comment on that.

3) I thought the same thing about the menus after the switch. But after a few weeks of use, I came to prefer the R15s user interface to TiVos. (Many others posted the same here as well)

4) Remote (RC23) buttons seem similar to the TiVo peanut.

As for the 2nd tuner issue, intitially only the first tuner is enabled for install until they activate the unit. Then the second tuner is activated.
    All, I can say is 'get used to doing the 'Red Button Reset'.

3. d0ug

d0ug Legend

Mar 22, 2006
    Can anyone post pics of the 100? I have yet to see one.

4. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
  5. dsstalkcom

dsstalkcom AllStar

Oct 14, 2006

oh thanks for the series link shortcut. so pressing the record button twice. my dad will have to learn this. he was used to the old setup.

after 4 days of playing with it, i am getting used to it. the search by Title is similar to the older units. so ok there.

the text of the menu overall looks kind of small compare to the Tivos. my 4 yr old was used to playing her kids show from the old menu. i guess i have to slowly teach her on this new menu.

i dont have a problem learning the new menus. i just thought it is not as intuitive for people who are not tech savy, such as my dad and wife. i think my 4 yr old will probably learn faster.

6. whynot83706

whynot83706 AllStar

Jul 27, 2006
    So new R15-100 is bigger than R15-300......how they compare to R15-500?

7. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    The 500 is identical to the 100. Physically anyways...

8. dsstalkcom

dsstalkcom AllStar

Oct 14, 2006
    yesterday, my R15 just went blank while trying to play a show that was currently being record..

i could not play any other channels or anything on the list after that. all is blank. strange.

so i hit the magic button by the card. and all came back to normal.

technically this is the 2nd time i had to hit that red button. the first time was to activate the unit with DTV CSR. :lol:

9. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Yep, they violated a cardinal rule of good user interface design: they hid the most common feature behind a door. :D

10. dsstalkcom

dsstalkcom AllStar

Oct 14, 2006
    i hope this is not like Micrsoft Windows 95 or 98, where we constantly hit the "Ctrl + Alt + Del"

why did DTV move away from the Tivo stuff? i think we all agree that Tivo stuff is more reliable and stable.

11. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    For me that's a good thing. The little one is always pushing buttons, I'd hate for her to be hitting the reset button all the time. I already have an issue with one of my PC's that she is always turning of. It turns off as soon as you hit the power button (it doesn't have the hold in protection, but I'm sure she'd hold it in and turn it off too)

12. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    There are many speculated reasons for the breakup. Some think it's money, some think it's egos. Some think it's all DTVs fault.

I tend to think it's a litte of the first two I mentioned.

13. dsstalkcom

dsstalkcom AllStar

Oct 14, 2006
    questions

are there two types of updates? one is a software update and the other is a firmware update?

14. Lantian

Lantian Legend

Aug 26, 2006
    dtv didn't wanna keep paying royalties

15. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Software = Firmware, with reference to the R15/HR20

16. Rhoq

Rhoq Legend

Apr 27, 2006
    Same thing happened on my R15-500 last week. I, too, was watching a program that was currently being recorded and everything went black. Nothing in "My VOD" would play and all of the guide listings were "To Be Announced". I really didn't want to reset, so instead, I decided to try stopping the recording and everything returned to normal.

17. marybeth

marybeth New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Hi All,

Newbie here and recent DTV convert. Just switched several days ago from Comcast/TWC to DTV. This is a great forum! I've been picking up a few pointers on my new DVR box R15-100 and DTV in general.

I'd have to agree so far that the interface is not as intuitive as my old Comcast service. My parents are going to be staying with me for several months and I'm a bit worried they might have a little trouble picking it up. I've been setting up the customized menu for them to try and make it easier.

One problem I am having...how do I start recorded programs from the beginning after I've already started watching them? I read on another thread to hold down the Jump Back key for three seconds, but it doesn't seem to work, any suggestions?

Thanks everybody!
    MB

18. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    I think that only works with the live buffer.
    Hold the slip button for a couple seconds to get close to the end, hit it again to get to the end, then start it over. A PITA, yes. I miss the "start from beginning" feature from my Dish box.

19. marybeth

marybeth New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    hi qwerty,

thanks for the suggestion, i will try that.

mb

20. dsstalkcom

dsstalkcom AllStar

Oct 14, 2006
    anybody know when the next firmware update will be for the R15-100?

so far its 0x1022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.