1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

R15/500 TV Ratio ??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by WalkGood, Sep 25, 2013.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood Cool Member

Nov 18, 2006
    I have an R15/500. In the setup there is a tab for TV RATIO. Changing it from 4:3 to 16:9 does nothing to the output seen on my new HD tv no matter what I change the TV aspect ratio settings. It did nothing on my old CRT tv either.

Note that on the TV there is no s-video input. Only HDMI, component (three color) RCA, and plain (yellow) RCA video. I am connected via the single yellow RCA input.

I will be getting an HD receiver soon so this will be a moot point. But I was hoping i could see the 16:9 ratio on my new TV from the R15/500 box. Is this possible or not?

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The TV Ratio setting on SD receivers just affects how widescreen channels are presented. If it's set to 4:3 it crops them, if it's set to 16:9 it shows it in widescreen. Currently the only MPEG2 channel presented in widescreen is BYU TV 374

1 person likes this.
  3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You need to use your TV's "zoom" or "pic size" setting

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Interesting;

I always understood this setting as a holdover from the pre-HD era when DIRECTV would sometimes broadcast anamorphic video.

If the anamorphic flag in the satellite transport stream was set indicating an anamorphic broadcast, when 4:3 was selected it would letter-box the image for an old SD set. If 16:9 was selected it would stretch the image out to 16:9 for a widescreen set.

But perhaps in addition it functions the way you say as well when receiving just a 16:9 SD broadcast.

I always wondered how DIRECTV SD receivers handled 16:9 SD broadcasts. Wish I had one active right now to experiment with the BYU channel.

5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The 4:3/16:9 setting on the SD DVRs does absolutely NOTHING today. For a time, DirecTV was sending a special signal along with certain programs indicating that the program was being broadcast in 16:9 and if a TV with a 16:9 screen was connected it would adjust the picture accordingly. But that technique hasn't been used in years.

6. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Read post number 2 and try channel 374 if you have an SD receiver.

I wish they would do it with more channels, however since the setting just crops it for 4/3 instead of letterboxing, it would cause problems on most other channels that originate in widescreen and take advantage of the extra real estate for on screen graphics like Fox's sports and entertainment channels and ESPN's networks.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Sorry for resurrecting a very old thread, but just noticed the BYU channel 374 is no longer in a 16:9 SD format, but 4:3 now.

And what worse it's a 16:9 image anamorphically squeezed into 4:3.

Just don't know why many broadcasters keep doing that....

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk