1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15 and dolby digital

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by flynlr, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flynlr

flynlr Mentor

Jan 21, 2006
    any idea which dtv channels even offer DD? I have yet to find one even the PPV previews dont seem to offer it. I use the optical out fine but have not seen the DD lite on my denon once while watching the R15

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The guide listings show you which ones...FYI, you also have to turn it on in the R15 setup, its off by default...

3. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Does the DD only work thru the optical?

4. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I have the Starz package and some of their movies are in DD. Like someone above said you do need to enable it in the Sounds menu options.

5. flynlr

flynlr Mentor

Jan 21, 2006
    well since im only using the optical out im pretty sure dd is enabled. just not seeing any programming that is.

6. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    You still have to enable DD in the options. Does anyone know if you can use DD with the rca output? All my optical inputs on my stereo reciever are used up (only have 2).

7. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    No, you have to use optical. You can, however, get a TOSLINK-to-Coax converter.

8. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    what is that? does it convert optic to RCA?

9. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Yes. TOSLINK is just the Toshiba trademarked term for the optical connector. I included it to make searches more productive. Coaxial (using an RCA connector) is the other way you can get digital audio (PCM, DD, DTS) into a receiver.

I assume you have an available coax input on your receiver. If none of your devices have coax, you'll need a converter. Otherwise, just switch a device that has both to coax (my DVD player has both, so it gets coax and the HDVR2 gets TOSLINK).

10. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    Ok i didn't realize that was a product name. I know i used one of the coax inputs on my receiver i'll have to check to see if there are an others on there. So I guess receiver's in general can't decode DD from rca left, right(red and white) only from ditigal sources like the name says. I don't know why I never thought of that. Thanks Walters

11. fancydancy

fancydancy Legend

Nov 29, 2005
    Anyone know if the R15 does anything special to the RCA stereo outputs when DD is active? It seems to be doing something if the manual is to be trusted, since you have to specify RCA or coax.

Does the R15 output Dolby Pro Logic on the stereo outputs when DD is active?

It has been my experience that shows with DD listed in the guide info don't necessarily have a DD track. Sopranos Season 5 has had a DD track, but so far Seasons 1-3 have not had a DD track, despite what the guide says.

12. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm pretty sure the reason you have to specify is to save (a bit of) disc space by not recording a DD stream you can't use. At least that's how it's always been described on the other DVRs.

13. Thunder7

Thunder7 Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    I too wish DTV offered more of the DD stuff. Like on locals would be nice. But it seems only some HBO movies and some PPV have it. Kind of disappointed in that. Wonder if they have any plans to expand it?

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    There are almost no local network stations in teh entire US that offer DD on any of their non-HD feeds. If you want locals in DD, you need to step up to HD....D* cant provide DD if it isnt there....

DD is only carried by digital outputs, and all the DD capable D* recievers seem to use optical(Toslink), if you are out of optical inputs on your av reciever, you can use an optical to coaxial converter....the analog stereo outputs on any D* receiver will provide adequate Dolby Pro Logic sound to any AVR that is DPL capable...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.