1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

R15 Boot Problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pocolocobob, Dec 31, 2011.

1. pocolocobob

pocolocobob Cool Member

Dec 30, 2011
    OK, I've read a few threads and haven't (yet) found a solution to my problem. This receiver is on my desk and is outputting to an eyeTV module that is connected to my iMac. It allows me to watch D*TV in a window in my mac's screen. Been terrific but my desk has been cluttered lately as I am recovering from surgery and not as mobile as I'd like to be. Anyway, the receiver was working fine 2-3 days ago, and I came down yesterday and saw a "no signal" screen although nothings changed.

I tried pulling the power plug and re-inserting and I get the Hello message & blue screen, and then it goes black and the no signal screen pops up and the REC led goes on. I seldom if ever use the DVR in this receiver as if I wanted to record, the eyeTV has its own setup and it goes directly to my mac's HDD.

So I'm wondering how I can reset the system so I can get it working again. Its possible something was on the remote and its been recording for a day or more (maybe?). There's nothing on the internal D*TV drive that I need so I'd even be happy reformatting it if that's the solution. I pressed the Format button on the remote but nothing changes, and in fact... nothing happens when I press any button on the remote or on the front panel of the R15. I also tried resetting the system via the button behind the door... NADA. The REC light goes out for a second and pops back on.

Can anyone offer me some tips on some kind of hard reset or whatever is needed to reboot the device properly?

Bob

2. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    No signal message or blank screen on TV and orange record light on or flashing on the R15 is a classic symptom of power supply failure.

You'll have to call DirecTV for a replacement unit. If it is a leased unit, there will be a $20 S & H charge. If it is an owned unit, you may have to pay for a replacement which then becomes a lease. If you have the protection plan, there is no charge no matter if it is leased or owned.

3. WalkGood

WalkGood Cool Member

Nov 18, 2006
    I just found I have the same problem with my R15 (100 hr DVR). I own this box, it is not leased.

If it is a power supply failure, will a power supply replacement (or repair) solve teh problem?

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If it is a power supply problem, repairing or replacing the power supply should fix the problem. If it is a hard drive problem, you can replace the hard drive but you won't retain any recordings.