1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

R15 & DTV iPhone app

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rivergoat, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Rivergoat

Rivergoat AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    I haven't used the iPhone app much; when I first tried it, how nice to program my receiver with it. Choose a movie, show, or what have you, select "record" and the unit is programmed. Well, last night I decided to try it again. Instead it throws "unsupported receiver type" at me. It's the newest version of the app (although maybe that's the problem...they removed or screwed up ability to use the R15?). Sure I restarted the iPhone, even restated to R15....

Anyway, thought I'd toss it out here and see if anyone else had any thoughts on it...

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    None of the SD receivers or DVRs have any type of network connectivity. There is no way for the iPhone or Android apps to talk to them.

Edit: I may have misunderstood. If you are just speaking to remote booking via the website, I believe that will be fixed in the near future.

3. Rivergoat

Rivergoat AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    Remote booking is indeed the most probably description. It just tells the DVR to add the program to its "to be recorded" database. It used to work, but if you say that's actually something that will be fixed in the near future, then great.

I'm still in the Stone Age...no HD....not even any high speed connectivity where I live; I must tether my iPhone for data service unless I want to install DTV's satellite internet (not in my budget right now...)

4. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    You can program recordings remotely on the R-15 even though it doesn't connect to the internet. The command comes over the satellite.

The only thing the R-15 won't do that the R-22 and HD DVR's can do is remotely schedule a series link (prioritizer) entry.

5. Rivergoat

Rivergoat AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    Yes, as I say, I have remotely programed in the past, but yesterday it didn't work ("unsupported receiver"). I'm hoping that's a glitch to be mended.....

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Version 2.4.4 released, "Fixed an issue with setting recordings on SD DVRs".