1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15 Frustration!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mizzoucat, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mizzoucat

mizzoucat New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I just received a brand new R15 that I bought off of ebay. I now have 3 receivers leased from Directv and then I bought this 4th one to put in the den. I have tried running setup 10 times and it gets really good signal on all satellites (>90) but when I get to Step 7 of 9 "Confirming Satellite Dish Setup", it just stalls and never completes the setup. I have tried resetting many times as well as power cycling. What in the world is going wrong?

2. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    Try it where you've got a working receiver?
    You could also try a reformat since you haven't recorded anything yet.

3. kaminsco

kaminsco Guest

Nov 27, 2006
    Maybe this is why it was being sold on Ebay. Agree with above, try it in location of the other working receivers.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You have a proper multiswitch installed with dedicated coax lines from the multiswitch outputs to the R15 inputs, and no splitters used anyplace, right?

What are the model numbers of your other receivers? What type of dish do you have (round single LNB, 3-LNB Phase III, 5-LNB AT9 or AU9, other)?

What brand and model multiswitch?

Assuming all the wiring is good, I would try a "reset everything" from the reset menu, or a "reformat" (using front panel buttons), and see if it works after that. Reformat is done by starting with a red button reset. When the first blue welcome screen goes away (turns black) push and hold the down arrow and the record button on the front of the R15 (not on the remote). Hold them for five seconds. The record light should turn on. Then the R15 should go through it's entire startup.

Carl

5. mizzoucat

mizzoucat New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Thanks for the help guys. I finally got it to work by waiting for like 10 minutes on step 7. It finally took and now all is well.

I have been dealing with the 771 problem on 2 of my other receivers though. I took my brand new R15 and put it in the place of a standard receiver constantly getting the 771 on all channels. I haven't got the 771 since indicating that maybe the standard receiver is defective? Can a defective receiver cause the 771 error?

My other receiver exhibiting the same problem is a standard HD receiver and it was getting the 771 on only the HD channels. I forced a software update and haven't had any problems since. The HD DVR Plus we have in the living room has worked flawlessly since installation.

Directv is coming tomorrow on a service call. Other than replacing the faulty standard receiver, should I have them do anything else? Most of my signals are in the low 90s so I don't think the dish needs adjusting. I guess if one receiver has been working flawlessly there shouldn't be a LNB issue or multiswitch issue, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.