1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15 hardware

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Wolffpack, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Under a different thread we started getting a little off topic in discussing the hardware platform of the R15 compared to DTV's previous DVRs.

In particular:
    and
    I had looked into the R15 and there has been other posts detailing some of the R15 specs so I thought this may be worthy of a discussion under it's own topic.

The R15 includes:
    • The STi5528 Chipset from STMicroelectronics. This includes a ST20 166MHz MPEG2 decoder and a ST40 200MHz application processor (for OS and scheduling and such).
    • 32kB EEPROM
    • 8MB FlashMemory
    • 64MB DDRAM
    • 160GB IDE HD
    • V.90 Modem
    • 2 USB 2.0 ports
    • Other Receiver/Audio chips

Those are facts provided in a link ferrg provide which is here.
    For more info on the STi5528 you can check here.

I'll do some searching on the other DVRs that chrishiatt1973 mentioned. If anyone has info regarding these systems (I guess not the DTV branded or Hughes versions) feel free to share.

Also, I attempted to find the same info regarding the R15-300 manufactured by Phillips without any luck. Can someone with a Phillips R15 please note the FCC ID # on it and post the info here?

Thanks.

2. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    It's definitely RAM-driven, and these have twice the RAM as the DTiVo and four times the RAM as the Series 1 TiVo.

It must boot a hell of alot faster than a TiVo, though, as I assume the OS/app are in flash?

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    :) It does do a Clear and Delete a lot faster .... :D

When ever I have done it, it starts up in less then a minute.
    VS the good 5 or so that my R10's take.

4. chrishiatt1973

chrishiatt1973 Banned User

Nov 21, 2005
    although this is a computer, and does not have to do as much as a regular pc, but a 166mhz processor is pathetcic, and 64mb of ram has no upward possibilities

5. chrishiatt1973

Nov 21, 2005
    if you mean clear and delet settings, how it do it that fast, mine takes 1 hour about

6. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    No, it's a 200MHz general-purpose CPU. And that's RISC, so it bears no relationship to Pentium-like processors. Again, going back to Series 1 DTiVo: a 66 MHz PowerPC CPU.

A DVR doesn't need to do anything processor-intensive. At all. The only thing close is MPEG decoding, and that's done on a separate chip (or a separate part of the chip, as in this case). Nobody outside of PC-based DVRs (Myth, etc.) do software MPEG decoding.

7. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Odd... A full reset of the system (The last option)..

Took about 5 minutes the last time I ran it.

8. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    So you don't think the freezing is a speed issue? I thought it might benifit from a faster CPU, but it could be the software. I thought the software is trying to do too much and was bottlenecking at the CPU.

9. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I think the "it doesn't respond for 10 minutes then is fine" issue is a combination of processor power and inefficient coding/design, but I think the real "freeze and never comes back" is more coding.

Tivos have well know problems when working with the Season Passes. Make a change and the "this may take minutes" bubble appears. It's understandable that at times these units have a chunk of work to do to reorder SPs/SLs but with a multitasking OS that should be something sent to a background (lower priority) task and the foreground returns to respond to the user.

10. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Well, that's a much more complicated question, and we don't have enough information to answer it. We don't even know what OS it runs. It's quite possible that a faster CPU could compensate for poor programming practices.

But it doesn't change the fact that I still have a DSR6000 (idle now) that does the core dual-tuner DVR functionality with 32MB RAM and a 66MHz PowerPC processor. There are only two places where speed is an issue: grid-style guide (code and/or DB was optimized for the list-style guide) and Season Pass Manager (it's been proven that RAM can improve this, even without the app using the additional RAM directly, but instead implementing it as a hard drive cache).

It might seem as if these devices have skimped on hardware, but good engineering is all about finding the proper tradeoff between cost and performance. Anything above the absolute minimum required raises cost without benefit. This is different from the general purpose PC, where people feel better if they've got higher numbers than their friends.

11. chrishiatt1973

Nov 21, 2005
    you dont get it do you,, those features we complain it not having, were on other boxes before this one was produced, therefore there is no valid excuse why they are not on there now...

no matter who produced them before

and when directv limits your choice of dvr's to get certain functions, and limits the common sense features they convienetly leave out, then we have every right to correctly slam directv

with the r15 we are given no choice, no r15a or r15b, or even if only one model still no ability to change defaults.. which many other boxes had ... and if the box had more memory etc.... then we could have the features we deserve since we are limited to 1 box......

12. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    Chrishiatt, you posted this in the other theard that you had with issues (I would have posted this there but it is locked). I only saw one other person with this issue and I was unable to recreate it. How are you acessing the show in the first place? Are you playing it off the MYVOD by hitting play or do you go into the info tab first and then select play. I want to see if I can get this to happen on mine or not. Can you list a step by step begining with how you get to the show and how you play and delete it please. Thanks.

13. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I guess I don't. Clearly they've run up against that 64MB limit, and if only they'd had the sense to include just a bit more RAM, they could add those few lines of code to activate the second live buffer. :rolleyes:

14. chrishiatt1973

Nov 21, 2005
    both ways, and at the end when i let show play out to the do delete or do not delete options pop up... when you hit do not delete, i am sent back to the options about the show .....

when i choose do not delete.... i am sent to that same screen EXCEPT screen only says channel number and nothing about the show... except it is copy protected..

my beef is, that when you choose a do delet after watch a my vod show, you should be sent back to the myvod screen that shows all your other recorded shows

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Chris...

Even though they may have had different "makers" names on the outside.
    Underneath the shell of the unit, the TiVo boxes where the same.
    No differences in Memory, Processors, or hard drive core types (ide vs SATA)

The R10 was different, as it changed the type of memory architecture... but it had the same amount as the Series 2 units.

So the only choice you had was to change the core type of Series.
    (If you had a TiVo Series 1, you could go to a Series 2, or go to a UTV)

I still need to get my hands on a philips version of the R15, so I can see what the differences are there.

16. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    i was at compusa yesterday and the R15 they had on display was a much more slim and trim version. i got one of the initial ones and mine is significantly larger. where did they cut out space?

17. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    That would be the PHILIPS built version of the unit.

Honestly, I don't know... but I plan to find out... I need to get me one of those versions.

18. chrishiatt1973

Nov 21, 2005
    i meant the phillips, samsung sony dtv boxes b4 r15. and now from another thread utv, having pip. directv needs to add

19. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    Ok, I have tried this and you are correct it should go back to the MYVOD screen and that's what it does on all three of mine (i goes back to the MYVOD). I only saw one other person with is issue and he had to get his box swapped because resetting it didn't fix it. Mine you that won't fix all the other issues that the R15 is having, but I'm pretty sure this one does require a swap out. So far your the second person who has had is issue on this board. Anyone else?

20. chrishiatt1973

Nov 21, 2005

thanx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.