1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15 Networking Capability?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by InterestedParty, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 4, 2007 #1 of 37
    InterestedParty

InterestedParty New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    When I purchased this DVR (r15) I was told that I could transfer programs from the unit to my PC over our home network. The sales person said that there was a USB port for this feature.

I don't see this in the documenatation. Was I mis-informed?

Thanks,

2. Feb 4, 2007 #2 of 37
    BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Yes, you were 'mis-informed' to say the least. The USB port is for 'future use', most likely in a 'DirectTV2Go' type of functionality where you will pay a service fee to be able to move programming to 'approved' devices.

TiVO based D* DVRs were being hacked to allow programming to be off-loaded using the USB port, but there are no such hacks available for the DirectTV Plus units...

3. Feb 4, 2007 #3 of 37
    Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I'll bet a buck the USB port on the R15 is never used.

4. Feb 6, 2007 #4 of 37
    Lags

Lags New Member

Jan 31, 2007
    I'll see your buck....and raise it to five! :lol:

I hope I'm proven wrong, but this DirecTV2Go has taken WAYYYYYYY too long to be launched. Anyone else agree???

5. Feb 6, 2007 #5 of 37
    wbmccarty

wbmccarty Icon

Apr 27, 2006
    Folks, long ago, the DTV get up and go got up and went. All that remains is the mopping up. Inevitably, barriers to enter the real-time entertainment content industry will be breached and a new king will reign. I'm betting on Google....

6. Feb 6, 2007 #6 of 37
    BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I'm all in!!! :cool:

I believe it is more a legal issue than a technolgy one. I would imagine the content owners are all trying to get their fair (or unfair) share as well as make D* jump though complex hoops before signing off on that kind of 'legal copying' of material. In addition, there are probably quite a few talking suits fighting the opening of the 'Pandora's Box' altogether. :contract:

7. Feb 7, 2007 #7 of 37
    DJPellegrino

DJPellegrino Godfather

Nov 17, 2005
    Tivo is doing it...and many others are getting ready to offer downloads directly.

It's not a legal issue...it's a DTV not wanting to do it issue...

8. Feb 7, 2007 #8 of 37
    Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Or a "not able" to do it. How may items were advertised at 2006 CES and the February 2006 slide show that still haven't seen the light of day? This has nothing to do with legality. It has everything to do with the fact DTV can't get it working. Just like they can't get the R15 and HR20 working as advertised.

9. Feb 7, 2007 #9 of 37
    BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    IMO, the delays are due to the fact that they have not been able to develop a method of 'hack-proofing' the tranfser to the mobile devices that will prevent off-loading to 'unlicensed' devices. Until they can achieve that, the suits aren't gonna sign off on the product.
    I believe this was one of the major reasons for the split from TiVo in the first place. TiVo was not willing to take the necessary steps to stop the hacks of their systems and protect the copyrights of the programming.

10. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I understand you're point of view, but let's look at the piracy issue. On a hacked DVR (such as Tivo) you can:
    • Subscribe to DTV and it's channels/premium channels.
    • Record a show.
    • Copy that show to your PC
    • Author and burn it to a DVD.
    On a non-hacked DVR you can:
    • Subscribe to DTV and it's channels/premium channels.
    • Record a show.
    • Burn that show to a DVD burner.
    With nothing but a PC you can:
    • Subscribe to Netflix/Blockbuster.
    • Rent a DVD.
    • Use free tools to make a direct copy of that DVD (including extras and menus).
    IMO pulling a copy of a program from your DVR to your PC isn't the biggest threat out there. I honestly cannot believe that's what's stopping DirecTV2Go from being offered.

11. BigPotty

BigPotty Cool Member

Dec 26, 2006
    What's to stop someone from using a video capture device on their pc and sharing the programming on the web? What DTV could do is to not allow premium programming (PPV, etc.) to be transfered from the DVR. This way all programs would still contain their original commercials. I'm sure the networks would like this, right? I think it's a waste of time to try and restrict these transfered programs to specific devices or equipment or software or whatever.

If DTV doesn't get their act together soon another company is gonna fly right by them. Hell, with broadband becoming so prevailent it's only a matter of time until a company starts providing content through the internet (YouTube?).

The next leap in broadband speed will definetly facilitate this. With many cities pushing wireless broadband and the cell phone companies getting into the business and developing new high speed wireless technologies, I'm sure the wired ones will have to double their speeds at least, to remain competitive. At that point we would probably see REAL Video on Demand (instead of the current selective programming)...

12. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    With the recent TiVo/Amazon Unbox announcement, I'm very close to the point where I could just drop DirecTV alltogether. I'd get a DT TiVo and use OTA for 90% or more of what I watch. Those few things I couldn't get OTA I'd buy per-episode from Amazon (unfortunately it looks like SciFi isn't on board, yet).

13. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    It strikes me that this is where VOD is definitely going. Even TV providers that CAN provide VOD (like Comcast) have very limited space, and offer only a watered-down version. I was under the impression that going over a web service is exactly the approach that DirecTV was going to use to implement VOD. Set up a service with a company (like Netflix) that provides the VOD service over the web. The show/movie that you order will be wirelessly shipped to your DVR, where you can then view it.

Of course, I can also see, just like with the advent of VoIP phone companies, the advent of web services that provide full blown TV content which would get broadcast to your TV wirelessly from your computer (or heck, have your receiver be a specialized box that connects directly to the web for just such a service). Right now I don't think the speed is there to accomodate that, but it's probably something being actively and aggressively persued. How the more traditional TV providers (DBS, cable, fiber) will fit into the schema all depends on how they position themselves. But I think it would be a big mistake for any such company to ignore that shift.

Finally, it also seems clear to me that the DBS companies (DTV and E*) see the one thing that will set them apart from other providers is their portability. The ability to just take your tv/receiver with you no matter where you go is going to be a pretty big selling point for the DBS providers, and will be something that other services won't really be able to achieve.

14. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006

I can't see where ability or the technology would be the delay (even if it is D*). We're just talking about a file tranfer from one device to another.
    I freely admit it is just 'My Theory' for the major delay. But I think it makes the most sense when all the recent developments looked at.

1) The R15 at least mine, now honors the copy protection embedded in the programming. My DTiVo did not. Unfortunately my Sony DVD recorder also honors that protection as well, so I cannot burn copy protected programming from the R15 to DVD without using an outside force to 'breech' that protection.
    2) D* terminates a prosperous relationship with TiVo as the supplier of DVR technology. In my opinion, this was a major stumbling block for D* to be able to offer VOD and Portable technology.
    3) D* has switched to a 'leasing' program for the hardware, that makes it technically illegal for the user to even open the case of the DVRs. Its hard to hack something you aren't allowed to open. It's even harder to be held accountable when the end user has violated a signed aggreement to do so.

I don't think D* really cares about the 'Piracy' or the morality of it, only the liability that they face as the 'Content Distributor' of that copyrighted material. TiVo and PC manufacturers don't have to sign contracts with the copyrights owners, D* does. In your first and last examples, you are the one in violation of the copyright laws, so no one else needs to worry about liability.
    In the second example, which is the applicable one for D*, D* is distributing copyrighted material to a subscriber base under very strict contracts with the providers and rights-holders. If they market a product that ends up being exploited and allowing free distribution of copyrighted material, they will face potential lawsuits from the providers.

The only other explanation would be that the same key-bangers that work on the R15 code at NDS are responsible for the D*2go functionality as well...:D

15. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    That's what I'm referring to when I make a statement that they're "not able" to do it.

Multiple threads indicate that DTV doesn't have the R15 source code (just as they don't have the Tivo code). So when changes/fixes are needed those must now be made by NDS.

Does anyone other than me see the irony in the fact that DTV dropped Tivo so they could be in charge of the code and DVR development yet now with Liberty purchasing DTV they are once again dependant on another third party (NDS, which IMO doesn't come close to Tivo in the depth of DVR development/coding)?

I still stand by my stance that we will not see the USB port activated on the R15. They still don't have the R15 working properly as a DVR. And if they start adding functionality without fixing the basic problems (scheduling, 100 item TDL) I would also have no confidence that those new features would work any better than the basic DVR functions.

16. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Can't disagree with you there, only to say just beacuse they shouldn't doesn't mean they won't...

17. Thunder7

Thunder7 Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    I wish they would do networking to be able to share shows between R15s. I have two and would love to be able to record on one and watch on another (mainly for nights that have 3 shows on at the same time I want to see, so i cant record them all on one).

18. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    There are seven thunders in 'The Wake' - Thunder Seven is 'Tribal Man Again'...

19. Thunder7

Thunder7 Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    I've been discovered ;) That is normally in my sig too :D

20. wbmccarty

wbmccarty Icon

Apr 27, 2006
    Hmm, 10 thunders (unless we're communicating in base 7), isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.