1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15 Newbie..and I like it!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by syphix, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Just got the R15 today, and I have to say I actually like it. Sure, there's some things that bug me (how it changes the channel WAY before the show it wants to record even begins, then when I hit "previous" tells me it's busy recording that upcoming show....huh??), and I'm bound to find some things that will annoy. But overall, it's starting off better than the 522 with Dish Network did with me (I couldn't even watch a show in delay because it would stutter!!).

Comeon, there's gotta be others out there that actually like the R15, right??

2. Melquiades

Melquiades Mentor

Feb 19, 2006
    I like it (especially that it was free, has 100 hours of disk space and the live-TV window when you're navigating menus).

Many people around here seem to have a host of problems with the machine, though.

3. wohlfie

wohlfie Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    There are a bunch of us that have had relatively few problems and generally "like" the box......but there is NO DOUBT that there are significant problems that need to be addressed very quickly (and if "skips" another episode of Lost I personally will blow a gasket :D ).

Anyway, as Earl is fond of pointing out - people generally don't take the time to compliment things that work well.

The mods have done a pretty good job of creating threads for running list of issues and complaints to try to keep threads from being "all negative", but I know that is how it seems at times.

But there is a lot of good discussion here and people are pretty willing to offer help and suggestions, so its much better than most forums I have been part of!!!

Besides, when a manual is as bad as the r15's, you need a place to go for help!!!:lol:

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005

Wow... someone actually listens to me? Cool..

What you don't like my:

When was the last time you posted on your Microwave's website, just to say it was working fine?

Example?

:)

5. mkmhr

mkmhr Legend

Jan 25, 2006
    Very good point Earl. Here's a question, While in the "more info" page of a pay per view program today I noticed a 10 digit number under the program description. I should say 11 because the very first number was a (4) in between brackets, (like parenthesis though not curved). I have no idea what they're proper name is, anyway, this full number is not the RID nor the AC number. I was thinking, the first number in the brackets (4) maybe is a count of ppv events so far that have not been reported by the callback yet. It's just an observation but any clues??

One other thing that I'm sure has been addressed in a post before but any idea when a fix targetting the incorrect episode desciptions? The correct show and episode title are there (even episode title?) but then the description of a completely different episode. spooky. 411 anyone?

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Not sure about the PPV stuff.

But the description of the episode...If the next time you see it, if you could let us know the exact channel, time, and show..

So we can compare it to the TiVo units... and see if it is just a guide data issue.

7. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    What? ;)

8. wohlfie

wohlfie Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Well, I couldn't remember the exact wording and was too lazy to search for it....:D

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Hey syphix, are you disco on the TiVo Forum?

Anyway, is there any info about when some of the minor updates to the R15 might be coming? Especially the big one? The lack of dual buffering.

10. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    jdspencer: yes, I am (I put it in my sig to reduce confusion..."syphix" is a username of mine at MANY forums..."disco" was a joke when I joined TCF back in '99...it stuck).

11. speedy4022

speedy4022 Legend

Jan 26, 2004
    I like the R-15 as well it has problems and is not perfect but I am willing to give Directv time to fix it. My Directv with tivo units were not without flaws either.

12. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    I like the R15 too. I just need them to fix the lockups, remove todo/sl limits and make sure that the programs will keep recording (hopefully this last update fix the recording issue) then I'll be happy camper and won't mind waiting for new feautures.

13. mkmhr

mkmhr Legend

Jan 25, 2006
    No prob, I can tell you this last time it occured was Monday 3/27 at 10:00 pm on channel 296 (Aqua Teen Hungerforce). I'm an Adult Swim junkie, The episode was entitled "The Shaving", then right underneath it gives the episode info for a different episode. I know there has been a good deal of schedule changes to their night lineup but you'd figure that would only affect time slots, not episode info.
    I will do a couple test recordings tonight to se if I can catch one in the act ;)

One other thing, have you noticed when a "Find by" search is done it will list items in your VOD list that have aired on the channel your searching. I can't tell if this was intentional or not, I think we could do w/o that, could confuse some (as yes it did me for a minute or two initially). Honestly I think hitting the list button is just fine to get my VOD, I just didn't see the need.

14. mkmhr

mkmhr Legend

Jan 25, 2006
    I didn't reply correctly above so FYI the above is in response to this response. I'm sure it was already figured out but hey why not make mention:lol:

15. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    I had this happen with My Hero on BBC. I said something about it and a couple of weeks later it was taken care of.

This is nice it only shows you old shows that are still recorded in MYVOD. Just incase you forgot you recorded it.

16. ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005

Agreed, it is a help especially with folders.

17. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I'm loving mine. Moved the R10 into the bedroom for the wife's shows so I could have the R15 here in the living room for mine.

18. alorarosalyn

alorarosalyn Banned User

Mar 31, 2006
    I <3 MINE!!!! I could not live without it !!! -bounces about- Unfortunately, being in Oklahoma, tornados tend to ruin the reception at times :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.