1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

R15 problems x136B: confirmed DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by caprock, Sep 2, 2012.

1. caprock

caprock New Member

Aug 24, 2012
    I am posting this as a new thread to help others. Posted this 8/25/2012:

I called DirecTV again today on this issue and they said they were aware of the video drops but also several other issues:

1) video stops while audio continues. Timed at 6 to 40 seconds.

2) remote fails to control the receiver even while the blue light on set indicates a valid signal - happens for moments to a few minutes.

3) while #2 occurs, the navigation buttons on the set are also inop.

4) audio stops completely while video works and channel changes are ok. Again moments to a few minutes.

The response from DirecTV is that they will not replace these receivers since the problems are known (I have the equipment protection plan); they are not offering any idea as to a schedule for a fix; they are supposing that these are software problems; they will not discuss a receiver upgrade unless associated with a national/regional upgrade plan.

Perhaps if more of us call and complain, this might lead to a fix. As it is, I have been with them for over 10 years and they don't seem to consider a potential loss of my account as of particular interest.

I have grown to like the channel lineups offered, and the service used to be great.

2. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Very interesting.

I see my R15-300 got a software update about a week ago and I was crossing my fingers that this issue didn't affect the -300...and it doesn't.

Apparently, this problem only affects the R15-500 which is weird.

Wouldn't it be awful if something else happened to your -500 which required the protection plan to replace it for free? And wouldn't it also be odd if you demanded an R15-100 or R15-300 from the technician who came out? I'm just saying, strange coincidences do happen... ;)

3. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    If its a known software issue then how would a replcement fix anything? I mean seriously, the fix will come down when it's ready.

4. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    There are THREE versions of the R15, the 100, 300, and the 500 each manufactured by a different company and using different software (even if the version number is the same). The problem only seems to be with the 500 which is manufactured by PACE. A replacement with a 100 or 300 would solve the problem instantly. Got it?

5. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    As long as it's an R15. R16-300 and R16-500 are also affected by this issue. It seams tied entirely to 0x136B, which most R15-100s and -300s just never got.