1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15 RF Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mlx52, Mar 18, 2009.

1. mlx52

mlx52 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2007
    I want to put my R15 in a closet and control it through RF, however, I want to be able to control the TV volume through IR. Is this possible using one DirecTV remote, or will I need the TV remote as well?

Thanks

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can do that with one DirecTV remote. When you set the receiver to the RF mode, the remote still operates the TV in IR mode.

Hint: If you do not change anything on the R15, and simply program the remote for RF, the R15 will work with both IR and RF remotes. Once you actually program the R15 for RF, it will only work in that mode.

3. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    As carl6 said, even when you switch the mode to rf, the remainder of the controls remain IR. And the r15 is unique in it's ability to respond to both rf and Ir at the same time, a property I use to feed 2 of my tv's from different rooms and also have it controlled by a slingbox

4. ccmilesd

ccmilesd New Member

May 2, 2009
    is this still the case? First I hadn't been able to do both RF & IR, then I was.... and now I'm unable to do both again.

Am I doing something wrong?

I need (and primarily use) RF, however I would love to use another IR remote as well. It was working fine a few weeks ago, but I'm now having to go back and forth in the menu.

Any tips?

5. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    there is a specific order to do this. Go to search this forum - advanced search - type "RF IR" search titles only.

6. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Reset remote [ mute select = 2blinks ; 981 = 4 blinks ]
    Program remote for TV
    Program remote for RF.

7. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is easier. Just read this.

Set up the R15 to respond to RF. Program the remote for RF also and make sure it works the R15.

Change the R15 to respond to IR. Restart it. (Menu/settings/reset, etc.)

Now it responds to both RF & IR!! You can even change it to respond to the AV1/AV2 IR code (0002 on an R15).

It's a great feature which DOESN'T work on the R22/HR2x DVRS!! :)