1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15 running better than ever :)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tony4d, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tony4d

tony4d Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    I have an R15-300.

I've always had problems with the usual things like series links recording repeats when I have them set to first run only, or not recording at all, as well as occasional resets. But, not until my machine auto-upgraded to 105F did I experience the horrible crap people talk about here all the time. My machine would just reset by itself for no reason, or lockup, or record black screens, etc etc.

Anyway, after reading a lot here I realized my only option was a "Reset Everything" (sometimes referred to as a reformat). So, I taped some important programs I had saved onto a VHS tape (man I need a dvd recorder) and took the plunge. I could not be happier. First off, the UI is like 5 times faster! Everything responds so much better now :D Not to say that may degrade as I add more stuff to the box like series links and some recordings, but I don't ever remember it being this fast, even when it was new.

Maybe this post is a little premature, cause I did just do the reformat this morning, but I wanted to share. Thanks for all those that post here, you've been a great help.

2. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    That will usually fix the problem. One of my R-15's I would say works great except for the SL repeat issue. If only all R-15's worked this well this forum would be a different place.

My 2nd R-15 connected to the same TV using the same outlet get so bad at times I hardly even use it. The last time I went to use it it would not even turn on and it took three resets and two pulls of the plug to get it back working again. Then the black screens pause, progress bar sticks, not responding to the remote, slooooooooooooowwwww doing almost anything, etc....

3. klwillis

klwillis Legend

Apr 11, 2006
    Well I haven't complained about the R15 in awhile.
    This is because I haven't had any major issues with the R15 in awhile or since came out (10FA).
    It has correctly Identified all me first runs and the autorecords have not
    recorded content on channels I don't actually recieve.

But because of past experiences I do not have more than 20 SL.
    My to do list is usually around 96.
    I don't use active channel weather information either or active channel.

Keith

4. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Mine has been working well enough that, if they added dual live buffers, it might get promoted to the living room.

I would never have said that 4 months ago.

5. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    I've suspected active content may be related to reliability. I very rarely use it and have two good boxes.

6. spweber

spweber Cool Member

Aug 29, 2006

I had EXACTLY the same unit and problems you described......E-X-A-C-T-L-Y!!!

So last week, we did a complete RESET EVERYTHING (reformat).....and it has been working awesome!!!!!

I told my wife to try to keep the SL limit to under 30 and lets just see how it goes....but my R15-300 is performing superbly with 105F....once a complete reset was done.

As much as I hate to say this.....but if we never got another software upgrade after this.......with the way it's operating currently.....we could probably live with the box for the rest of our agreement committment.

Sincerely,
    Stan

Parker, CO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.