1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15 .. should I buy one or lease it?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jwill72, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwill72

Jwill72 New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    So I have new DTV service set for install at the end of the month to complement my move and my nice new Samsung DLP HDTV. I'm scheduled to be installed with the LNB5 AT9 Dish, H20 Receiver (free lease with the rebate) and R15 DVR ($100 initial lease fee and $4.99/mo for the additional receiver).

But I've seen R15s on the web at the same price as DTV's inital lease price. I called one of the online satellite retailers where I saw it for $99.99 and they said you own it at that price, however DTV says that has to be a lease price and that I'd still have to pay the $4.99/mo. I can't seem to get a straight answer on this one and I don't know enough about how the box activation works to know if the online retailer is yanking my chain.

So I guess it really boils down to two things ... $4.99/mo. and the installation. If I buy the R15 myself, will the DTV install tech run the wires to it and set it up at no additional cost just as if he brought it? I don't have enough experience with this stuff myself to do it, plus I need to have flat wires run under the carpet as my property manager doesn't allow you to drill any holes anywhere.

What do you guys think?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I am almost POSITIVE the $99.99 rate is for the lease.

3. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Well, you'd have to pay $4.99 regardless (just a matter of whether it's called "mirroring" or "lease"). The question is whether you'd own the box.

It's all a bit unclear so soon after the transition. For example, Circuit City website is somewhat clear that it's $99.99 to start a lease, while Best Buy doesn't mention the word "lease", but has the same price.

4. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    As long as you don't sign a contract when you buy the R15 I would assume you could tell them it was a owned unit. I think this month would be the only month that you could get away with this though.

corrected

5. Jwill72

Jwill72 New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Hmmm $4.99 either way huh? Well I think that answers my question right there. I don't actually have a major desire to own the equipment, as I'll likely be looking at upgrading to the HR20 HD DVR after it comes out (and especially if the up-front lease cost drops to something that seems more reasonable). Actually that brings up something else. I wonder if you'd have to reset your 2 year commitment if you upgraded to the HR20. For some reason I get the feeling you would.

Thanks for the responses!

6. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    OK, those last two posts make no sense to me. Assuming a $99 upfront and a $4.99/month either way, why would someone rather lease than own?

7. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Each time you activate a new piece of equipment, you re-up your contract with DirecTV.

8. Jwill72

Jwill72 New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Because as I understand it, you don't own the R15 at the $99.99 price, regardless whether you get it from DTV or some other retailer. The box gets flagged as "leased" at DTV, and you have to return it when you cancel service. What I don't know however is how they know if a box is "leased" or "owned". From the rep I talked to at DTV about this, it sounded like you just have to tell DTV to flag the box as "owned" when you activate it. As if they just take your word for it.

9. Jwill72

Jwill72 New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Ahh ok thanks Earl.

10. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    opps I mistyped. I meant you could tell them you own it.

11. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Ah, OK. That's what I thought you meant to say, but then the next post was someone else who seemed to feel that way, so I thought I was missing something.

12. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    If I have to pay the same price as owning something then I see now reason to ever lease equipment. If I have to may $99 either way I would rather own it then I can sell it later and recoup some of my $99 I spent. If I lease it then I have to return the box and my $99 is wasted. UNLESS the $99 goes toward my next lease with them or gets returned to me in some fashion.

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    For $99 up front, for a DVR, and the same monthly costs, I'd much prefer the lease, since if it goes belly up its completely covered...when you go to get rid of it, it may not be worth a thing anyway....now if you start talking $300, $400, or more for say an HD DVR, then I would like it to be mine since I never get that money back....for $99, thats just plain not enough money to worry about over the course of a few years...

14. Jwill72

Jwill72 New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Good point. I was actually thinking this exact same thing earlier today. I think I'm just going to stick with what I have on order from DTV. If the DVR craps out I'd much rather have DTV send a tech out with a new one rather than have to deal with a return to a retailer or even worse through a warranty exchange.

15. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I guess since I have the protection plan (lotsa lighting to blow up dishes and multi-plexors here) I would just rather own it. :)

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    IF you are leasing, you dont need the protection plan, what does that cost a month or year now?

17. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    7.99 a month

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.