1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15: Software Upgrade: 3/15/2006 ->Software Versions (10AF,103A) ONLY!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Earl Bonovich, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 15, 2006 #1 of 100
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    OR270 was the first to report the new software version.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=54768

Latest Software Versions:
    Humax: 500-10AF
    Phillips: 300-103A
    They are functionally identical

This release contains one and only one change:

Series Link reliability has been significantly improved.

For now, the old thread for 10A3 / 1035 will remain open to track issues for those with that version still. Once there is a general feeling that most users here have the newer version, it will be closed.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=53370

RULES for this thread
    This is not a bashing thread. This thread is to track and have some conversation regarding the bugs and new features of the box, and "semi-track" those that have recieved the update... Large topics should have their own thread.

BEFORE POSTING
    Verify that you have version 10AF or 103A, if not... please post in the appropriate thread. (Create one if you can't find one)

2. Mar 15, 2006 #2 of 100
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Rollout of this version:

It has started in the west coast, but may take up to a week to open up to the rest of the country. They are doing a stagered rollout to make sure there are no deployment or serious issues (introduced) for this version.

What was fixed:
    This was a maintance fix (and should be last... see my future thread about the next release).

It specifically target the Series Link, and it reliability issues.
    During the testing they had a extremely high reliability rate, there where some issues, but nothing to the magnitude that there was before.

This release doesn't target the issue between First Run and Repeat.
    It has targeted the aspects of "babysitting" the ToDo list... having the program say it was going to record, and it doesn't.

A couple things:
    1) The code does not contain a "flush and rebuild" procedure for the to-do list. Thus, if the R15 thinks it has already handled your SL based on the current data, the new code will not kick in.
    2) In general it will take 7 to 14 days for the Series Link to be fully recognized by the new code.
    3) If you want to force the new code usage.... delete and re-add your series link. This should be the last time, I will be recommending that action.

The "next" release, should be one you all enjoy.

3. Mar 15, 2006 #3 of 100
    matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    Two questions, Earl...

1) Has the 50/100 limit been removed? If not, I can't see this release doing much to improve the box missing recordings at all. When you set something to record, it should put it in the TDL and record it, period - it can't do that if the hard limits are still there...

2) Will some of the other bugs at least be fixed in the next release (jump back asking to delete, jump back not going back 6 seconds, my vod list not populating, etc)? I'd rather see those fixed than see a release that adds new features, which seems to be what you're hinting at. Of course, if they could do a release that fixes those bugs AND adds new features at the same time I'd be thrilled, but I don't have any confidence they could do that without breaking something else...

4. Mar 15, 2006 #4 of 100
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Hi Matty:

See this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=54783

To address your issues
    1) No, it didn't change in this release. But your second half of your statement is correct. Once your program goes into the TDL, it will stay there. I just won't show the entire schedule for the next 14 days... it would grow and update day by day.

2) I don't have specifics on what "laundry" list items will be fixed in the next release, but there is supposidly going to be a good number of them corrected.

The intent of this one was to get the updated code for this very significant issue out as soon as it was ready to go.

5. Mar 15, 2006 #5 of 100
    cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Would a reset do the same thing and force the new usage?

6. Mar 15, 2006 #6 of 100
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    No, because the todo list is actually stored on the hard drive and reloaded (and validated against the updated guide data).

From what I have been told, there are "pointers" in the todo list, that is making the system think it is there... but it really isn't.

Without having a detail code file, or very specific "specifics" I don't know more than that, other then the "quick" fix is to pull the offending SL out, and put it back in.

7. Mar 15, 2006 #7 of 100
    cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    OK, that explains why after a reset you still have all the Todo list with the same amount of items. I hope that deleting the SL will work, I've had times where removing the SL didn't remove all the items form the todo list.

So from what you told matty we'll have a correct outlook at least for 2 to 3 days without it changing. That will be nice. Hopefully it will go back an remove them if the lineup changes ie. news conferences.

8. Mar 15, 2006 #8 of 100
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    From what I have been told, the R15 is constantly paying attention to the incomming guide data. Hence why we have been seeing somethings in the guide data a day or so before the DTivos have seen it.

9. Mar 15, 2006 #9 of 100
    skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    So I take it that DirecTivos only get their guide date from the nightly service download, and do not benefit from the trickle of guide data that comes down from the satellite?

10. Mar 15, 2006 #10 of 100
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    They "get" the data... but the DTivos don't integrate it in, until an index action occurs. They normally happens at night.

11. Mar 15, 2006 #11 of 100
    skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    Got it. Thanks.

12. Mar 15, 2006 #12 of 100
    cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    Earl, has there been any talk about streamlining the update numbers so that the Humax and Phillips are the same software number?

13. Mar 15, 2006 #13 of 100
    techNoodle

techNoodle AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    How sure are you that this is the last maintenance release? Does it really fix all the SL problems? I really hope they are not expecting us to Beta test more software that is not mature for prime time. :nono2:

14. Mar 15, 2006 #14 of 100
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Okay... "last pure maintnance release", is probably a better terminology for it..
    There will always be "maintance" parts of future updates.

As for really fixing the SL Problem (with regards to it recording what it says it will record). From everything I have been told, this particular problem has been pretty much resolved.

Note, there will always be exceptions to that... but those exceptions should be very very few... and probably would have an explanation on to why.

As for syncing the version numbers....... I haven't heard any plans to sync them.

15. Mar 15, 2006 #15 of 100
    iamme4everup

iamme4everup Banned User

Mar 15, 2006
    so once the new software is released, we should erase all our sl, and re do them right away, and we STILL have wait two wqeeks to see if software fix was good?

and why is it am i scared, because they saying last maintance release ? they sooo confident b4 it out in use they finally fixed it ?

because of this ..........It specifically target the Series Link, and it reliability issues.
    During the testing they had a extremely high reliability rate, there where some issues, but nothing to the magnitude that there was before. ....what are the problems they still had in testing it ???????????????

16. Mar 16, 2006 #16 of 100
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Hi Chris:

Well since you where wrong about the 3/28/2006... ;) BTW: You really need to learn how to properly chop up "quotes" better, you haven't managed to figure that out across the multiple login accounts you have used.

Lets see if I can explain it better.

The last three releases have been nothing but maintenance release.
    This one, in my words, is the last of the pure maintenance releases... the next release will include some feature additions... as well as addressing more of the "laundry" list of items.

For the Series Links... part of the original flaw is the programs where flagged that they where set to record... but fell out of the todo list. But since they where marked as already scheduled, the scheduler doesn't try to re-add.

The only way to force the "flag" to be removed, is to drop the SL...
    And then re-add it.

Hence why if you don't manually fix it, it will take the number of days for it to eventauly get past the mis-flagged shows, and continue with the new correcte code.

Confident, yes... they are confident they fixed it. Hence why they released it to the public users.

As for the problems... same as the "beloved TiVo"... without perfect guide data, there are still combinations that cause faults. GIGO takes effect here.

Any more questions...?

17. Mar 16, 2006 #17 of 100
    iamme4everup

iamme4everup Banned User

Mar 15, 2006

chris?

they have released patches before, convinced it would fix issues, it did not...

can you be more specific what problems you said they encountered testing this latest release ?

what "laundry list" you mean ?

18. Mar 16, 2006 #18 of 100
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes Chris... as you have a very striking similarity to a poster on these forums...

Syntax, content, host IP address, and even the naming conventions of your user name.

Yes, and they have released patches... and for the items that where stated to be corrected... in pretty much all the cases they have been.

As for specific test cases that failed... I don't have a list of those, other then their regretion and beta testing have provided them with enough information and results that they felt this particular release would solve the vast majority of issues with regards to programs not recording.

Is it "perfect" no... Will it ever be "perfect", probably not... after all, the code is written by people. And if it still relies on guide data that is far from "prefect"...

As for the Laundry List... generic term, relating to the multiple lists of bugs and features that people have listed here and in other forums.
    http://www.bartleby.com/61/95/L0069500.html

19. Mar 16, 2006 #19 of 100
    iamme4everup

iamme4everup Banned User

Mar 15, 2006

i know what laundry list meant, i meant more specifics on which was bein addressed.......

and will this release in what you have heard, make the r15 series link be 99.99% reliable as the r10 tivo series recordings were ????????????????

if not, then this better not be the last series link fix, i and im sure all will not be happy untill it is as reliable as the r10 was and is

20. Mar 16, 2006 #20 of 100
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't have the specific laundry list, but when they are ready to roll it out, I will be able to get specifics then.

Is it going to be the last fix for Series Links... probably not... As when 100,000s of users start to fill in their SL's, they are bound to find a program or a combination that doesn't work....

But yes... it should be as reliable to record, as the R10s do...

NOTE This is with regards to recording the items, there are still working on making improvements to overcome the guide data issues with regards to First Run and Repeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.