1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15 to R22 for MRV? Need to understand what "HD enabled" means

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by 996911, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Have my MRV system being done next week. I currently have the HR20 and R15 in my system. I added another HR2X with my order but wasn't thinking when I ordered (now looking back) that I won't be able to MRV the R15 and now I would like to be able to MRV with that unit. So, what I read here on the forums is the R15 needs to be replaced with the R22, correct? If so, what I am reading in the forum is that the R22 works with MRV just like the other H/HR receivers as long as HD is enabled. Does that mean HD enabled on the receiver? I'm confused on that one. Is it how it is connected? A setting? HD on the account (which is obviously on the account with the HR boxes)?

Here is what I have:
    HR20
    R15

Here is what I would have next week:
    HR20
    HR2X
    R15

Here is what I should have to get MRV on all 3 boxes, correct?
    HR20
    HR2X
    R22

If this is what I need to do, then do I just call up D* and tell them I wasn't thinking clearly (which is common these days with a 1 year old and 3 year old) and I need to replace the R15 so I can have MRV with that box and that I need a R22 added to my order? Is there a charge for that or is that considered an equal swap?

Thanks again for all the input in advance!

2. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    An R22 is an HR21 that originally had HD disabled. A software update some time back enabled HD on th R22s. R22s are still considered SD DVRs in D*'s system. When you order WHDVR, D* will replace any non SWM compatible equipment with SWM compatible equipment. For an R15 this means an R16 or R22 depending on availablity. I believe the R22 is no longer produced and are harder to come by. The installer will most likely replace your R15 with an R16 unless you order another HR2x.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think that's right... the standard operating procedure would be to replace your R15 with an R16 and you would not get MRV on that receiver.

4. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Why would the R15 be replaced with a R16 if there is no MRV? Confused on why it would get replaced.

If there are no more R22's then how do I get that box to do MRV without having to add another $200 HDDVR box? Since it is going to be outputting to SD TV's it would be a waste to pay for the HD box.

Thanks again for the input!

5. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Which is crazy because the whole idea of the whole home setup is to watch shows from any DVR in any room. Not every room except one.

6. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    The R15 would get replace with a like receiver (R16) that is SWM compatible as you need SWM for supported WHDVR (DECAs need SWM).

7. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Because the R15 is not SWM compatible while the R16 is. So they will "upgrade" the R15 to a DVR that is SWM compat but you still won't be able to use the whole home DVR with it.

8. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    WHDVR only works on HD equipment with the exception of the R22 which is an HD disabled HD enabled SD DVR.

9. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005

I understand that, but not my point. It is utterly confusing to the end customer and only leads to failed expectations. They would be better off simply replacing the R15 with an HR2x.

10. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    And Directv will do that, but not for free.

11. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I know, again, which leads a customer to failed expectations. You tell a customer you are going to replace the customer's R15 during the whole home DVR upgrade. Do you think the customer is simply not going to assume the whole home DVR will work on the DVR that is replacing the R15?

12. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    I guess I need to call back and add either the H or HR receiver correct? ARGH!!!!

Good news is there is nothing on the R15 that we will lose sleep over losing. It's basically all kids programming so we can play it while we are in their rooms or the loft with them.

We can duplicate all that since it's first run type of material.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You might be able to get an R22 on EBay, just make sure it's owned by calling the Access Card department with the receiver ID. Also, if you do end up with an R22, keep in mind that if anything happens to it, even if DirecTV were to replace it, you likely would end up with an R16.

14. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    From directv.com:

Equipment
    You'll need an HD DVR for one of your TVs and HD-capable receivers for your other TVs.

D* is pretty clear about what is required for WHDVR.

15. bobwaz

bobwaz New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    I suggest you tell Directv that you won't go ahead with the MRV order unless the installer shows up with a R22. That's what I did....and sure enough, the installer came with one. Problem solved, for me at least.

16. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    You got lucky. And as dpeters11 said, if the R22 fails you may end up with an R16 as a replacement.

17. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I know not everyone would uses the internet, but right on their web site, when you click to get more information about the Whole-Home DVR, it says this right under "Equipment": "You'll need an HD DVR for one of your TVs and HD-capable receivers for your other TVs." While their SD R22s can do MRV, I doubt you will find that information on their site anywhere.

Ideally, Directv should have each CSR question each customer about each SD box, and offer to upgrade it to MRV. Providing a price for each upgrade, or for installing MRV with no upgrades. That's not happening. Why it is not happening is anybody's guess. Could be anything from lack of CSR training to lack of equipment. (Since HD equipment is in short supply, they may actually want to "not encourage" people to upgrade to HD right now.) Also, perhaps too many of their customers would find the options confusing, or the "whole package" too expensive, so it's more advantageous to Directv to keep it simple.

18. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Doglover....you seemed to have hit the proverbial nail on the head. I just need to call them back and say I need the R15 won't work with the MRV setup and I need a box to replace it. Easy enough right? :)

19. Daniel

Daniel AllStar

Feb 6, 2007
    I had a recent WHDVR install where I thought that I was just replacing two of my three R15s with HR2Xs, but to my surprise the installer came with the two HR21s and an R22 and set up all three for WHDVR (set it up wrong, but that is another matter.)

20. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Now that I have had a few moments to really think about this, I am really chapped. So as I understand, my R15 wouldn't work at all with the new install, correct? So, the CSR was obviously clueless and I was going to be shocked next week to learn that I was losing my R15 without any advance warning. Even though I am not totally versed on the equipment, etc, I am sure glad I have a place like this to come to in order to know what a CSR should have already known, but didn't. Damn, I would have been fuming next week thinking I was going to get to keep my R15, get it replaced with another "newer" version and still not be able to do MRV with that box!