1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15s killing my dsl?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by illushinz, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illushinz

illushinz New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I did a bit of searching, but I'm either doing something wrong, or there isn't much info on the technical stuff. Anybody know what frequencies ride on the RG6 from the dish to the DVR? Also, any info, documentation, links about the dial up procedures and functions. My R15 is killing my DSL connection, every time I plug it in. I've tried DSL filters on both ends of the line to the DVR, and in both directions, even tried one on each end... LOL. No luck.

Any info would be a great help!! Thanks.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Honestly..

Don't connect the R15s to the phone line then... they don't need it, unless you want to purchase PPV via remote.

DSL is a very touchy technology...
    When I did have DSL... I had the best results by splitting and filitering it right at the junction box...

IIRC... for filters to work... you have to have it on EVERY single jack in your house. In use or not, except for the actual DSL connection..

3. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    What does the RG6 have to do with your DSL connection? I doubt any signals are crossing over from RG6 to a phone line.

4. Mar 1, 2006 #4 of 39
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    With most current DSL providers, you only need line filters on teh phone jacks in use, not ALL the phone jacks on the same circuit

5. Mar 1, 2006 #5 of 39
    ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005
    Works fine on mine and I run it 24/7 due to weather station.

6. Mar 1, 2006 #6 of 39
    Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I have Verizon DSL and you need filters on every phone line in the house. I found this out as I missed one and had poor speeds and when I called Verizon they asked me to double check and sure enough I missed one.

7. Mar 1, 2006 #7 of 39
    Two Good

Two Good New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Lost my DSL after Dish install in August. Check all the filters and found the installer had plugged my 522 into the DSL side of the filter.

8. Mar 1, 2006 #8 of 39
    speedy4022

speedy4022 Legend

Jan 26, 2004
    I have DSL and no problems but I do have a line filter hooked to the R-15.

9. Mar 1, 2006 #9 of 39
    morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Verizon DSL with filters was hooked up to R15. Speed tests showed a marginal slowing enough the wife did complain about it. Never had that problem before with DVRs, and it could have been something else.

Since deacticating the R15 the DSL is back to normal. I just would not hook it up to the phone line unless you are ordering a PPV (as said above).

10. wishfull1

wishfull1 Cool Member

Nov 21, 2005
    My R-15 is causing trouble with my DSL too. If I have it connected (with filter of course), my DSL drops it connection every 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I can see the disco's in the Speedstream DSL modem log. This has been happening since December, the same time I got the R15. SBC techs have been watching my line closely, they say to look inside the house for the problem. They were right. Disconnect the phone line from the R15, disconnects stop. Reconnect it, and the disco's happen like clockwork. Previous Samsung and Tivo receivers did not effect the DSL.

I wonder if it has the extended warrenty with Robert and VE?

Cheers

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Just disconnect the R15 from the phone line...

Doesn't need it, unless you are buying PPV via remote.

12. wishfull1

wishfull1 Cool Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Yes... but, the wife really likes the caller ID. It should have no effect on the DSL. I have tried every one of the 3 R15's we have, with different filters, DSL modem and phone lines. All do the same. None of the other receivers we have used in the past do this.

I had hopes for the R15, but this is growing tiresome.

When my wife use the R15, I always hear...."What the ....., ah common JUNK! :lol:

13. skitzel

skitzel Cool Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Unplug all lines from telephones and filters. Then try to use your DSL. Then if it works properly reconnect one filter and phone at a time testing the DSL to see if each addition causes DSL to work improperly. Keep in mind to only do one at a time, keep adding filters and phones until you find which filter or phone is faulty. If you find a defective filter replace by asking DSL vendor to send one to you. I really hope this helps, I think this is a very good way to troubleshoot your problem.:) :)

14. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Hmmm...

I don't know why it would be doing that, as it affects some DSL... not others...

Even if you put the filter directly on it?

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It doesnt make any sense at all since those R15's are just using regular old analog modem technology....there is some other underlying issue here that noone has hit on yet. Of course it doesnt help that the R15 has become such a popular punching bag with internet crowd..like anything else these days...if it doesnt work perfectly out of teh box, or even if it doesnt work exactly how the irate poster thinks it should work, it gets posted all over every forum they can find , related or not....

16. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Could the R15 by anychance have DLS modem tech in them or might they try (for some wierd reason) to network them over that? I know it sounds stupid, and I doubt it but stranger things have happened.

17. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Given the multiple flavors of DSL out there... (hence why you can purchase your own DSL modem in most markets, but you can with the Cable modems)

I highly doubt it.

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The R15 (as well as any other device that features CID) is always "listening" for the CID signal. Old devices simply waited for an AC voltage to show up (ringing). This problem could well represent a design flaw with the receiver since so many of them exhibit the symptoms. I'd be willing to wager that it may not pass muster with respect to its FCC Part 68 registration specifications which state that the device may not interfere with certain other devices.

19. Bud33

Bud33 Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    I don't think it would have been approved for sale if it hadn't passed the FCC tests.

20. wishfull1

wishfull1 Cool Member

Nov 21, 2005
    The R15 just doesn't like to play nice with my SBC DSL here. I don't know what the cause is, but whenever it is plugged it, I get regular disconnects. I have tried it by itself, different R15, different room phone line, different filter and different Efficient Networks SBC DSL Modem (5100a 5100b and a new 4100). If none of the R15's are plugged in to the phone, my connection stays up and solid for weeks on end.

Some people may have the same problem, but don't even know it. As you can see from my modem log, it is only disconnected for 12 seconds. Happens every 2 to 2 1/2 hours consistently. My boys complained about their XBox 360 getting booted. Thats how I found the problem.

Here is a sample of my modem log. Link down occurs every 2 to 2 1/2 hours as long as any R15 is plugged in anywhere. This includes straight from the network interface test jack outside, to filter, to dsl and R15.

+004 days 20:22:39 E |DSL |Link Down

+004 days 20:22:39 E |DSL |State: WAITING

+004 days 20:22:43 E |DSL |State: INITIALIZING

+004 days 20:22:51 E |DSL |HYBRID 2

+004 days 20:22:51 E |DSL |Link up 22 US 512 DS 3008 (FAST:G.dmt)

I have tried every combination or it by itself. It has everything to do with the R15 and nothing to do with my new house, new wiring, new filters, new SBC modems and so on. I have tested and watched this problem for months. Along with SBC techs watching my line remotely. It IS the R15.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.