1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R16 up for preorder

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by FloorHead, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloorHead

FloorHead Member

May 22, 2007
    Burbank, IL
  2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Other then it is going to be a while until any R16's are shipped...

No, no other details to share at this time

3. Kevin Dupuy

Kevin Dupuy Godfather

Nov 28, 2006
    Hmm... that look nice.

I am a tiny bit sceptical... mainly since if you look in the product description...

"Unlike the previous models, this receivers does NOT have a built in NTSC tuner (for off-air programming)" Since the R15 didn;t have an NTSC tuner (did it?)

Also, the box looks radically differant from what DIRECTV has been putting out.

Anyway, it'd be interesting to see what happens when it is released. This is the first actual info we're getting out on some sort of R15 successor.

4. manhole

manhole AllStar

Jun 9, 2006
    No ethernet. I guess that means DirecTV on Demand won't be available on the R16 :(

5. Kevin Dupuy

Kevin Dupuy Godfather

Nov 28, 2006
    it's hard to imagine D* wouldn't put ethernet on the box. Maybe we should wait and see the final specs of the machine, it's entirely possible this store has old or wrong info, since, as Earl said, it is a while before it's release (at least to the public, it might be in beta right now)

6. michaelyork29

michaelyork29 Godfather

Jun 22, 2007
    wow...now thats a nice dvr

7. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Looks nice, but does it have a Hemi???? (DLB)

8. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    No, it won't have DLB

9. manhole

manhole AllStar

Jun 9, 2006
    What I'd like to see even more than ethernet is for DirecTV to release a USB wireless adapter (similar to the Tivo adapter) that will work on all of the DirecTV DVR's that will support DoD. I would gladly pay $50 for something like that. And since DirecTV is writing the software for their own DVR's, it cannot be that hard to do since they would all need just one common driver for the device to function.

Is there anything like this in the works Earl? It would be great for those of us who cannot run ethernet to the set top box (and do not want to deal with the hassle of using a wireless-to-ethernet bridge type device).

10. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    I like the streamline look of this over the HR21. Very nice.

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    No there is nothing like that in the works.

12. Kevin Dupuy

Kevin Dupuy Godfather

Nov 28, 2006
    BTW, Earl or anyone else who can talk to the folks over at DIRECTV, could you ask them to get this thing out by the holiday season, I kinda got a bet with someone, so...:D

I suppose it would be based off of the same codebase of the HR20/21, so hopefully we get DoD and other related items...

Anyway, I'm semi-happy with my R15 right now, so I'm not in as big a rush for this as I was maybe six months ago. But, the SD DVR has gone almost two years without an update in hardware, so it;s about time.

But, no matter what: DIRECTV: Please test it to the best of your ability this time.

13. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    It looks nice, but looking at the features the features I don't see much that the R15 doesn't have already. Which makes me wonder why they would go to the expense of developing a new product that's essentially a black R15? Unless SWM justifies that expense.

14. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    SWM would make installation in apartments and condos that already have one line ran into the rooms alot easier, not to mention new home installs. I only have 1 line ran to my bed room i would live to get one of these and a anew switch for that room instead of pulling another 100' of cable. While their at it I have 2 lines in my living room (one for activating new equipment) I could run my R15 and one of these there and have 4 tuners there too.

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    SWM is a big factor in it.
    The updated outside design is another.

And until we get the rest of the details about the unit...

It has been about 3 years since the "design" of the R15 was set...
    So hardware has update probably... and most likely the cost to build the unit has dropped... ect....

16. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    anyone know if this is a Pace, Humax, Philips or other?

17. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Don't know yet

18. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Assuming those are production pics, it looks very nice. :up:

Looking forward to the eventual first look. :)

19. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Based solely on the photos in the ad.... it would appear to be a Philips (R16-300)...

20. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    And what in the picture makes you think that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.