1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R22 & hr24 -- gui resolution ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lwnl663, Mar 1, 2013.

1. lwnl663

lwnl663 New Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Have to swap out my R10's because my area got MPEG4 only LOCAL CHANNELS - However a fly in the ointment is (called DIRECTV but they were clueless) I only have older 35 inch CRT tube TV's.

I have read on the HR series (and R22) they have upgraded the GUI to HD, well if anyone has tried watching a Blu-ray on a tube tv knows, the menus are impossible to read (too small and blurry).

So what are my options for receivers and is there anyway I can have the GUI be in SD only ?

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    If TV is connected via yellow RCA jack for video, the on screen message to hold down the 'exit' button will blot out the picture until the receiver down-res's to SD.

You can't miss it, and you can't watch till you do it.

DirecTV giveth, and DirecTV taketh away, LOL!

3. lwnl663

lwnl663 New Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Is this for both units ? and also this occurs (I'll assume) each time you start receiver up for the day OR is it each time you access the guide and/or menu systems ?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If you set the receiver to output 480, the GUI displays in "SD".

5. lwnl663

lwnl663 New Member

Mar 1, 2013
    downrezed 480 or native 480 ?

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I have had an H21 hooked up to a 27" standard def CRT for about 3 years now. I have not had any trouble reading the guide/menu/etc on it. Mine is hooked up over S-video, and is set to display HD channels letterboxed to 16:9. I believe the guide and menu's are displayed full screen though. It's not hooked up at the moment since I am remodeling the room it was in, otherwise I would check tonight and post a pic.

I really don't think you need to worry unless you are sitting really far away from the TV. And if that's the case you need to upgrade the TV cause it's too small :lol:

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :shrug: I can tell between my TV being on an HD channel and being on an SD [I use native output so each channel is in its broadcast resolution]

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just set the DVR to 480i and your tube-type TV will work fine. If you record or select one of your locals in HD and try to play it back the DVR will try to instruct you that you should increase the resolution but ignore it. The guide and all the menu's will look fine also.