1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R22's and Connected Home Service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Spicoli, May 11, 2011.

1. Spicoli

Spicoli This is only a test...

Jun 7, 2006
    Here's the dilema. I have an HR24 and 3 R22's. Everything is connected through my home network, not through DECA. When I upgraded to HD service in February of this year D* enabled Connected Home service on my account for my home network, unsuppoted of course through email as instructed. Everything worked great. Then a few days later I added the HD pack to my account through D*'s website and it disconnected my Connected Home service. I was able to get D* to re-enable the service and everything worked great again. Then a couple weeks ago my HR24 died and they sent me a replacement under warranty. Got it all set up and found that the Connected Home service was deativated again. Contacted D* through email again to get it up and running again and this time their response was I did not meet the equipment requirements for this service and that it was unfortunate that it was not caught earlier. Their stand is the R22's do not meet the equipment requirement and I need another HD receiver/DVR on my account. I know that technically they are considered standard def. receivers but with an HR24 and HD service on my account they are now functioning as HD receivers. Any thoughts or suggestions on this very grey area?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    DirecTV is pretty strict on this. An R22 will not count as a second HD receiver/DVR on your account when it comes to WHDVR service. You need an HD-DVR and a second HD receiver or DVR.

The fact that you got it enabled to begin with was an oversight, but it looks like it got caught. You can always see if they will give you a HD receiver (or even a HD-DVR) for no up-front lease fee. Once active on your account, you can then use the R22's at will for MRV.

One thing you might be able to do is to stack two of the R22's at one TV and put the HD receiver at one of your other TV's. With that HD receiver, you can record to any of your DVR's and playback from any. The second R22 on the one TV would just be acting as extra recording space. You'd want it hooked to a TV though so that you can access it when you need to update SL's.

And since you currently have 8 tuners in use, when you add the HD receiver on, you will automatically qualify for a SWM16 install so you will be on a SWM system then too. So, your dual cables to the one R22 can then be split among the two R22's stacked there if you go with my proposed setup.

- Merg

3. Spicoli

Jun 7, 2006
    My main issue with the whole thing is it is possible to "flip a switch" to get the service activated. It was working. I can see where they technically couldn't count the R22's as HD receivers, the home networked approach is unsupported anyway. If it works, great! And they get their $3.00 per month and they wash their hands of it. If it's a DECA install then they are responsible for it's operation.

I do already have SWM, so if I can't convince them to "turn it on" then I can possibly upgrade if I wanted to. But I am totally happy with the DVR's that I currently have. Too much red tape gets frustrating.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The issue is how people had obtained the R22's. Not that people obtained them illegally or anything... But, since they are an SD-DVR that had HD capabilities, they decided to treat them as SD-DVR's. Part of the issue is that they did not want people to grab R22's at the SD-DVR price and then use them as HD-DVR's. Kinda defeats the purpose of charging people for a HD-DVR.

Whether or not you have supported or unsupported MRV, since the R22 is considered a SD-DVR, it won't count when it comes to whether or not MRV can be activated. The criteria for MRV is one HD-DVR and a second HD-DVR or HD receiver. Doesn't matter whether you are going the supported or unsupported route.

- Merg

5. Spicoli

Jun 7, 2006
    I would have to agree with this argument the most. Looks like I'll give D* a call and order another HD receiver.

Thanks for putting it in a different light Merg.