1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Railroad Alaska on Destination America

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Drucifer, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1 of 31
    Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    [​IMG]
    Who's watching Railroad Alaska?

I'm a train enthusiasts, so naturally I had to tune in to see if it was going to be any good.

Well while the Alaska train has a big spot in the weekly show, it is the people they serve that are the stars. Their normal everyday lives are something I would never try to attempt.

2. Dec 7, 2013 #2 of 31
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I didn't know about this one. It seems kind of like Flying Wild Alaska, in some ways. I'll have to check it out.

3. Dec 8, 2013 #3 of 31
    seern

seern DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    Watched since the first episode and like the way that the interaction between the "off gridders" and the railroad is shown. Also how tough running a railroad in Alaska is overall. D Peters you could think of it as the land based "Flying Wild Alaska". I miss that show.

4. Dec 8, 2013 #4 of 31
    Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Watched one episode. Not enough trains and too many people who are train wrecks.

Wife and I were curious because when we were in Skagway, AK on display was a huge locomotive with a rotating snow cutter/thrower on the front of it. That is the kind of stuff I wanted to see. Now using the howitzer to start avalanches was cool, but I have seen that several times on IRT.

The couple who "just discovered" they were out of propane was a joke. How about you order some propane when you hook the last tank up, not when you randomly check on the day the camera is there and then freak out. Felt a little sorry for the 40 year old virgin though.

5. Dec 8, 2013 #5 of 31
    Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    That you can probably blame that on the director who wanted to put urgency into the script and changed the ordinary task to an emergency one. That's the difference between a reality and a documentary program. The director doesn't feel comfortable with ordinary hardships. They want life to be fill with drama moments.

To enjoy the show, you must learn to ignore the director foolishness of making a hard life even more unbelievable with fake emergencies.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dec 8, 2013 #6 of 31
    Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Agreed. It would have been easy enough to create the urgency by simply stating their propane order was due to come that day and that was good because they were almost out. Don't create the stupid "oh I just checked and we better order some" nonsense.

7. Dec 8, 2013 #7 of 31
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I watched the most current episode. I do kind of wonder, how do the young off griders make money? Parents, their oil money from the state, state assistance (which generally can't be used for a lifestyle choice ). Living off grid isn't exactly free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Dec 9, 2013 #8 of 31
    seern

seern DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    Well, the spouse of the girl who just had the baby, works and is gone a lot during the week. In an earlier show, a friend came by to stay with her, this was before the baby was born.

9. Dec 9, 2013 #9 of 31
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Ok, nothing like that was in the episode I saw. That's one heck of a commute, even if it's not daily.

10. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I have a dear friend who's considering moving away to Alaska with her high-school sweetheart whom she just reconnected with after 30+ years apart. Trying to tell her how *isolating* that situation can be seems to have no effect on her.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    All it would take with my wife is the footage of the outhouses most of the off-gridders seem to prefer on the show.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I would think 98% of Alaskans live near towns and not along a railroad track.

13. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I agree. After watching Ice Road Truckers for a few seasons, it's easy to see when the directors take a lot of dramatic license. Little difference here. Nonetheless, and as you suggest, putting that in the back of your head, it's still fun and entertaining to watch this show.

I love railroading; I'm envious of off-gridders, and I love Alaskan life and its demanding wilderness. I get some of all of this with this series. Go get 'em, Animal!

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Where in Alaska? I mean, Anchorage has a population around 300,000. 40% of Alaskan residents live there. Plus they have roads that actually leave town and go somewhere. Can't get that in Juneau.

15. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    Of course you have to ignore the "drama" interjected by the production team. It is nonsense.
    I do like this show (I like Railroad shows also). It was shot 8 months ago (a calendar with April was shown) - I wonder how it would play out in December.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The last episode was ridiculous on the manufactured drama. I cannot believe that someone could possibly not realize they were low on blood pressure medicine for an entire week.

Good result for the Road Master that was laid off.

17. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wonder what the people who "live off the grid" do for a living, if anything, how do they get money to pay for the propane and diesel fuel? What do they do with their trash?

Insteresting show though.

18. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    That's possible. As I been there, done that. You go to the cabinet to get the next bottle and then realized you didn't order it. And I got the Internet and email to assist me.

19. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Didn't the 'low on propane' couple have wood heat? So the propane is for a generator or stove or something. They aren't going to freeze to death.

20. Carol VanDerMeer

Carol VanDerMeer New Member

Apr 13, 2014
    hawaii
    Will somebody please explain to me what these young "off the gridders" do for income??? Fuel, medical supplies, Machinery, all cost $$$......living the dream life off the grid still requires money....My first guess would be government assistance which kinda' takes the bloom off the rose for these glorified "brave pioneers" !!!!!