1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rain fade an issue in Knoxville TN?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by CraigT1, Jul 23, 2010.

1. CraigT1

CraigT1 AllStar

Feb 18, 2008
    We are using U-Verse presently and previously had Direct but we are now considering Dish for several reasons. We care more about movies than sports in general so Dish is a better option than Direct(also the DVR is a factor). Our rain fade issues with Direct also was an issue with my wife(she watches mostly local/network channels) so I wonder if we would likely have the same issue with Dish. Supposedly our dish alignment was OK according to some guys in the Direct forum when I posted our readings. I would use an indoor antenna as a backup but that isn't as good an option as it appears even though we are only about 7 miles from the stations due to what appears to be multipath issues(just a guess). Thanks.

Craig T

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You're in an area of the country where dense storm cells pass through, so rain fade will always be a factor to consider. On the plus side, Dish's sats (except for 118.7, the International sat) are all Ku-band, which is a bit less susceptable to rain than DirecTV's Ka-band, where their HD is. On the minus side, Dish's Eastern Arc sats are all older and weaker and not optimized for their current location (but a new sat was just launched to 61.5), so I'd say that makes the two services roughly even. Anyway, when a heavy storm cell passes through your dish's line of sight (to your south), it will reduce the signal more than either band can handle.

But wired services can also be affected by weather (poles down, lines cut, etc.) too. In my area, most utilities are underground, but there are still plenty of phone and cable outages for various reasons.

3. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    If most of your viewing is local/network channels, a ViP722k would be a good fit. It has two OTA tuners that, in my experience, are less susceptible to rain fade. You could also just need your dish tweaked a bit.

4. CraigT1

CraigT1 AllStar

Feb 18, 2008
    Thanks for the excellent reply. Interesting that you should mention cut wires. AT&T bypassed a bad place in a cable 10 days ago but nobody ever came out to bury it(a long cable) and today somebody up the road mowed over it- no telephone, internet or TV. I just came in from fixing the cable so at least I can post this now- and I have AT&T on the phone to get things fixed. Even so, we may still go to Dish instead of losing TV and internet at the same time. :)

Craig T