1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raising Rates / Charging for online

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Greg Alsobrook, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I just got an email stating that they will be raising my additional radios from $6.99 to $8.99 per month... unless I act fast by purchasing another long-term plan. :rolleyes:

Also looks like you won't be able to listen online for free any longer...

2. Undertaker

Undertaker Cool Member

Jan 1, 2005
    I'll be listening for free online, I have a lifetime sub.

3. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Better lock in and save, AirRocker! :lol:

They're in deep excrement, that's all I know...

4. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    all the more reason not to get into a long term, if they tank, all the people with lifetime and long term contracts might be left holding the bag.

I think its a last ditch effort to get cash to pay the debt they weren't able to make a payment on i believe. They Raise the rates, but then say if you front us a bunch of cash now for the long term we won't raise yours right away

5. dnuijten

dnuijten New Member

Jan 20, 2009
    looks like I will be cancling my 2nd reciever.

6. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I'm looking at cancelling #4 and perhaps #3.

7. murry27409

murry27409 Member

Oct 16, 2007
    So b/c they state that the online feed will be "higher quality digital audio ", they can get away with charging 4 the online streams. Seems transparent, no?

8. tbpb3

tbpb3 Legend

Dec 9, 2006
    Canceled today after 5 years.I knew that it would get bad after after the merger,and it did.Next all music channels will have commercials. To bad, it was a great idea at the start. And wait untill you have the cancellation experience, they hung up on me four times before someone would finally do it

9. Motley

Motley Mentor

Sep 23, 2004
    My Sub runs out in June. I don't think I will be renewing. The merger really screwed XM and now that the rates are going up and I cannot listen online it will not be worth it for me. Too bad because I really enjoyed XM for the last 4 years. :(

10. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I hope that's the end of it for you... certainly wasn't for me though. Don't hold your breath. They keep sending me bills even though they have multiple notes in their systems that I canceled last summer and I was actually issued a refund for unused service. Go figure. :rolleyes:

11. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    I also cancelled. I only listen to Sirius online when I'm at home. I've been contemplating cancelling for months now and told myself if they raised their rates so much as one dime it would be reason enough to drop them. They just gave me that reason.

As tbpb3 mentioned, the cancellation process was a pain in the a**.

12. pigskins

pigskins Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    Bad news, it's their lifetime not yours. :)

13. valestij

valestij Cool Member

Jun 4, 2008
    I don't understand the "And if you renew now, you can continue to listen online, FREE for the length of term you choose. "

I thought the XM radio online was only linked up to the main account, not the sub-accounts. It's not like I received a seperate username and password for each additional radio I owned. That would have been nice though so my Dad wouldn't have to use my username/password to login.

14. airedale

airedale AllStar

Aug 8, 2007
    With Sirius, every radio gets its own account to login to listen online with.

15. dpd146

dpd146 Godfather

Oct 1, 2005
    I wasn't thrilled about the e-mail but $2 a month is not enough reason for me to cancel. Small price to pay if it can help keep the company solvent. I would hate to go back to regular radio.

Good Luck Sirius/XM

16. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Now that is what I like to hear :sunsmile: As I said I don't understand why Sirius XM would want to make people mad for the second time (the first time was the merged channels) because instead of getting more money they are giving yet even more people a reason to cancel :( But I want the company to stay solvent also to the point of becoming a Lifetime Sub. Too bad there just doesn't seem to be enough people that think like we do :( :( :(

17. ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004 Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    I received two emails asking me to make changes to lock in my current price.

So I called Sirius and asked a few question. I will continue to receive online listening because I have a lifetime sub on my primary radio. I can make up to 3 radio changes before the sub is no good anymore. The way I figure it, I will come out ahead on this.

Now as for 2 bucks more a month for my second radio? Doesn't bother me in the least.

18. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I just canceled my second radio.... didn't listen to it much anyway and the one in my car can be used inside. It's getting very close to time to pull the plug on XM since Sirius screwed it up.

19. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006

I am canceling my 3rd and 4th ones as well. They were there for convienience, but this has convinced me I don't need the convienience that bad.

I would have been OK with the $2 increase to the primary account, as long as they didn't cut our online access.

For all of these increases, they could at least throw in the "Best of" packages. Seems counter to the merger proposal that I have to pay extra for Howard Stern and the NFL when Sirius subs get it as part of their sub. And Sirius subs have to pay extra to get MLB and NHL. Doesn't make sense to me.

The merger is not making me a happy camper. This was a service with so much potential, even with the merger. We could have had lots of channels and depth of programming with all of the personalities out there. Now we get microscopic playlists, pay extra for programming we should be getting as a part of our subs and horrendous customer service.

Now, it seems that the monopoly bird has come home to roost and is looking to fatten up. Thought Mel was looking a little skinny.

20. flexoffset

flexoffset Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    My drive to work is made much more pleasant because of Sirius. During my morning drive there is nothing else worth listening to on terrestrial radio. Of course if they get too greedy I'm out simply on the principle of it. :)