1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant: Let me downgrade my programming online

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by markrogo, Jan 30, 2013.

1. markrogo

markrogo Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    No, really, let me. It's beyond irritating.

Voice-response unit: "Do you want to order that in high definition?" Um, no, I told you I want to cancel my MLB Extra Innings, but thanks for being useless.

"Agent" "Agent" "Agent"... 0-0-0-0-0.....

Random call-center rep in India or wherever. Full explanation of what I need (why, you aren't doing it anyway). "Hold while I transfer you." 5 minutes of delay. "Hi, I'm transferring you now". More delay.

"Hi this is guy in programming, what's your name and phone number?"

Are you freaking kidding me?

This is like a textbook course in how to piss someone off. "You know my name and phone number, I was transferred to you."

"I need to verify it anyway."

I oblige and then, he has no idea why I'm calling!.

So I get to explain it all over again.

This is ridiculous.

I promise you I will never, ever, ever accept any sort of incentive to retain a service with DirecTV on the phone and I will from now on seek every opportunity to downgrade. So let me just do it online, OK?

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    While I understand what you're saying, if I was running D*, I would do it the same way. It adds cash to the bottom line.

I don't, however, understand why I have to verify my name, phone number, etc. at the beginning of the call and then every CSR after that asks me the same information (like you say). I agree with you there.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I called to downgrade just last week ... it was a simple 15 minute call.

4. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Is it a package programming? Because I'm pretty sure you can do that online unless I'm misunderstanding.

5. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Unless you're looking to get bill credits and discounts with that downgrade.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    He was cancelling EI. I downgraded my overall package from Classic to Xtra online. HD Extras, had to call but automated system handled. Want to cancel HBO, had to talk to a rep. DirecTV has their priorities.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    To me though, it shouldn't take 15 minutes.

8. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Uh okay. Is much better on the phone IMO that way you might or might not extended discounts (premium channels at least)

9. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Did you read his post? He was talking about Extra Innings.

You also cannot remove movie packages without calling in.

10. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Yes I'm aware dpeters mentioned it, It shouldn't take too long once CSR answers the call.

11. markrogo

markrogo Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Mine was 15 minutes, too. I'm glad you found that "simple". I found it 14 minutes longer than necessary.

Right, and online it would take 1.

Yep, had the same problem dropping Showtime a few months ago. Makes me never want to add anything again. Ever.

Can anyone recommend the best e-mail address to send a customer complaint to?
    I just want to do that even though I'm well aware it will go nowhere.

12. Darth Malgus

Darth Malgus Cool Member

Jul 4, 2012
    A lot of the issues you describe arise from the Quality Assurance practices at DirecTV. Agents are required to verify who they are speaking with and if they are an authorized user on the account. They are also required to verify any password you may have on the account prior to making any changes. If they do not do this they can heavily penalized and everything else they do well on the call is voided. You also have to take into consideration account security, and any failure of the transferring agent to properly communicate the reason for the transfer and submitting this prior to transferring. Otherwise the new agent truly has no idea what you are calling about.

13. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    email:ellen.filpiak@directv.com

14. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Why? That is a resource of last resort.

15. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    But there's no reason for them to do it every time you get transferred - only the initial time. Once transferred, the info should all be there for the next agent (verification, reason for call, etc.)

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Her email address sold only be used for cases that truly warrant it. For me, it's the nuclear option. Though in this case go ahead and blast away at that address :)

17. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    I would do it everytime rather spend an extra minute reverifing everything then trust a computer system to make sure everything was transferred to the next agent correctly

18. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    When I was with DISH, they let you downgrade on line. Depending on what was being downgraded, and how long someone had a service, they would charge $5. They even let you do an on line chat with Customer Service, which took care of the language/accent barriers.

If DirectTV does not want to offer web based downgrade of services, they could at least offer IM.

Personally, I would rather pay $5, they to have to call to some call center overseas to get a script and a hard sales tactic with it.

19. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    You can downgrade most services online. In terms of call centers overseas, last I checked about 90% of the call centers were in the United States. None, by the way, are in India.

20. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    There is a feedback link you can use on DTV.com under Help ---> Contact Us.