1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant: Rain Fade and the HR20 locks up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by oldfantom, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldfantom

oldfantom Icon

Mar 13, 2006
    Rain fade is awful with the new slim line dish. The 113 SAT goes when there is anything more than a sprinkle. But worse than that is the fact that the HR20 locks up tighter than <insert your own inappropriate analogy>. So you get to preform the old RBR because of a Texas storm. Madness. So tonight, I have missed Chuck, How I Met Your Mother, Two and Half Men and the first quarter of the football game. I love satellite. Really, all that HD is great. But this hypersensitivity with the new satellite and the inability of the HR20 to function when a show breaks up has to go.

Thank you, continue on with your evening. I am going to go hook up an antenna.

2. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    113??

what is all your sat signals when it's not raining? sounds like you might have a bad alignment issue or water getting into your connectors.

3. IjustWannaPlay

IjustWannaPlay Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    I get 88 or above on 103b but still lose the signal with any significant rain. I doubt it is water on the connections because the signal comes right back when the rain stops. I rarely had this issue before the Slimline.

4. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I find that rain fade is definitely more of an issue with the new Ka band channels, but overall the Slimline performs pretty well in the rain for a dish of its size.

I also have seen the occasional lockup on the HR20 after losing signal due to rain. It is a PITA -- especially when you're not around to reset the DVR, you can miss scheduled recordings even after the signal returns.

5. BRSlim

BRSlim Cool Member

Jul 29, 2007
    This happened to me as well. I have 2 units one of which was not recording a program at the time and the other was. The first unit recovered just fine from a rain fade, but the second did not. Both tuners were recording and and the record light was on, but the screen displayed searching for signal on both.
    Then the other day the same unit was recording a show, but the record light was not on. On this unit the operation of the record light seems intermittent. Maybe it's not the slimline but the HR20?

6. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Two weeks ago had a heavy downpour during 'Damages'. So as soon as it stopping pouring, I set the HR20 to record the next showing of 'Damages' as I figured I lost sat signal (TV was off during the thunderstorm). Later that night I go to watch Damages, and I checked the first recording around the time of the heavyest rain, and noticed the picture started to freeze and pixalate, and then the recording picked right up about 4 minutes later. It didn't record 4 miniutes of black screen, which I thought was a nice feature. Of course I deleted the first recording and watched the unaffected second showing.

Here's the rest of the story -- the next morning the wife turns on the bedroom TV where the SD Tivo is hooked up to, and the Tivo is locked up. Had to unplug it and plug it in again.

7. smimi10

smimi10 Legend

May 22, 2006
    I had a similar problem yesterday, where Tuner 1 was stuck on "771 searching for signal" after some rain moved through the area. I didn't notice it until later in the evening when I couldn't get any signal on Tuner 1 for any satellite (via signal test).

I figured a menu reset might fix it, so I did that. It did fix the problem, but I lost four recordings that must have been affected by Tuner 1's problem, since I was watching a different program during the time these programs should have been recording.

I guess my HR20 is working as designed with regards to deleting corrupted recordings, but I am a little concerned about Tuner 1 locking up as a result of rain.

8. hdAddict

hdAddict AllStar

Jan 9, 2006
    I have an HR20-100 that had significant rain fade last evening (4+ inched of rain here) but never locked up. Was watching some of the new HD channels as well. During the worst part of the storm(s) I just switched to my tv's tuner and watched the prime times.

9. KurtV

KurtV Legend

Dec 21, 2006
    The severe rain fade you're describing is neither normal nor acceptable (I'm in New Orleans and have pretty much the same climate as you do in Houston and I've only had rain fade 3 or 4 times in the past year with the new dish). I'd schedule a re-alignment with D*. If that doesn't work and you're sure your cabling isn't the culprit, you my have a problem in the multiswitch or the HR-20 itself (as has been suggested by others here). You definitely have a problem with the HR-20 as regards the post rain-fade lockups; that shouldn't happen and has never happened with my HR-20.

Bottom line, this poor performance is not par for the course/something you have to live with.

10. oldfantom

oldfantom Icon

Mar 13, 2006
    I guess my 103 could be better, it is 79 - 85 across the board. It was in the teens during the storms last night.

11. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    I noticed the same problem here in Miami. I get 90+ signals on the 103 transponders and yet during heavy rain the Ka channels drop like fly's. This is an issue that I fear is going to be a constant problem, not sure if they can increase the power to help compensate , I sure hope so, if not I am going to have to always watch the weather channel before inviting friends over to watch Sunday ticket in HD or else face possible injury :)

12. tooloud10

tooloud10 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    Well, I'm going to have to report better results than the rest of you. I read several people warning about rain fade problems with the Slimline and mp4 channels and I was pleasantly surprised to find less fade than with my old setup.

It was raining rather hard here the other night and I didn't notice a single dropout.

13. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    It's not the rain, it's the clouds and how much they are filled with water/vapor. Some areas of the country (like here) are just more prone to the problem, especially during rainy season. The Slimline performs as well as can be expected, but fade is definitely more of a problem with the narrower Ka band signals, even on a very well-peaked dish with strong signals in clear weather.

Regardless, the DVR should not be locking up, requiring a reboot, when it loses signal -- which the HR20 does occasionally.

14. tommybob

tommybob New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I have HR10-250, HR20-100, and HR20-700. Both of the later HR20's will lock up during rain - but only on one of the tuners. This does not happen to the HR10 - it just keeps going and going. This is a consistent issue everytime there is significant rain....and it is always only one of the two tuners in each of the HR20s that. In fact....it is always tuner 1 in the HR20-100, and always tuner 2 in the HR20-700.

15. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    I have had my HR20-100 lockup a few times during rain. Its a very annoying problem, especially since the Resets are so slow! You can kiss 5 minutes of your show goodbye if you need to do a reset.

16. WB6PWJ

WB6PWJ New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Rain fade is to be expected on the Ka band. In the city that I work for we have many point to point microwave shots there. We have an over engineered network but we still get rain outages several times a year.

We can use this band because we are in Southern California. In really rainy places like Florida no one uses the band.

17. mateom199

mateom199 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    There are 2 things I can't stand about the HR20:

1) Its complete inability to handle signal outages....almost always locks up on me when the signal goes out.

2) 15 minute boot time. Sorry D*, but it just doesn't take 10-15 minutes to "check satellite settings." At least let me watch a recorded show while it takes another 5 minutes to gather sat data...

18. KurtV

KurtV Legend

Dec 21, 2006
    You shouldn't be getting lockup when you have signal loss and you don't have to live with it. Mine has never locked up because of this issue and in fact, has only locked up once and that was the second day I owned (leased) it almost a year ago.

Call D* and get them to fix the lockup problem (probably by replacing the receiver).

19. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    What's interesting is there have been a flood (no pun intended) of people posting that the slimline is better for Ka-band than the AT9, and now here come you guys saying it's worse. It sounds like the truth is, it's probably the same.

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    My local installer told me just 3 1/2 weeks ago that they have been having issues with the Slimline, and their experience is that it is not as solid in terms of signal as the Side Car version. Don't know if that's the case, but they said they've had all sorts of issues with signal levels when setting up Slimlines and virtually none with the Side Car 5 LNB.

All I know is they did a Dish re-alignment here for free about that time (it had been years since the original install, and this was precautionary with the new 103 sat HD channels), and got the best levels to date on all sats in about 5 minutes of work with my Side Car.

I have only gotten rain fade dropouts 1 time in 2007 so far, and that was during a vicious thunder and lightening storm where watching TV was the furthest thing from our minds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.