1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

RANT-Though a short ONE!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by Spike, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Spike

Spike Legend

Jul 4, 2007
    Begin Rant:

Directv couldn't even offer a second tuner on the THR22? Infuriating! They must really fear Tivo.

Rant Ended!

2. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    What? Last I saw its a Dual tuner receiver, just like all the other HR's

3. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Blame TiVo.

4. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
  5. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I would Like to know , why or What we would Blame Tivo for?

Since it clearly has 2 Tuners, and Directv makes the receivers Hardware , not tivo!
    ???

6. Spike

Spike Legend

Jul 4, 2007
    I am so glad to eat crow on this one. I had the opportunity to get a Free Directv Tivo today for being a loyal Directv customer. I was told by the person helping me that it only had one tuner, which would have meant I could only watch one show or record one show at a time. Clearly the link provided shows two tuners! Thanks for the link!

Sweet! I'm so glad I took them up on the free offer.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Hope you read the First Look completely. Should you come back later with a rant about no MRV on the TIVO, everyone is going to send you right back to that review.

Enjoy.

8. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    It will not communicate with your at all though, so as mentioned there will be no MRV.

9. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Also I think there is a sperate additonal DVR fee for it being a TiVo.

10. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    Yep, I forgot about that one. I hope they explained that one too.

11. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    As someone who has had both a THR22 and HR2x, I highly recommend you do not activate it and exchange it for an HR2x.

The THR22 hasn't had it's software updated since...uhm...ever.

12. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I also have a THR22 and an HR21. The only reason I have the THR22 is that my wife hates the HR2x UI. But the THR22 is a reasonably competent DVR if you don't mind giving up almost all of the post-2006 features both DirecTV and TiVo have added since then. On the other hand, as noted, it seems to have been abandoned at birth by DirecTV with no bug fixes since launch - and it does have bugs.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think it would be fairer to say it's been abandoned by Tivo. It's their software.

14. e4123

e4123 AllStar

Jan 31, 2011
    Funny, the original DTivoI had (from Hughes) had two (2) tuners. Seems to me the THR was allowed to exist due to contractrual obligations perhaps.

15. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    All DirecTV DVRs since the early 2000s have had two tuners. This includes the THR22.

16. Spike

Spike Legend

Jul 4, 2007
    I am considering not getting the Directv Tivo. As I examined the first look, I noticed many short comings. So, I am considering phasing out of Directv and eventually going with cable. I really like The Tivo Premiere. Diretv THR22 Tivo falls well short! I'd call it Tivo Light compared to the Tivo Premiere. I don't know. I have until Thursday at noon to make up my mind.

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If Thursday noon is your install time, do the installer a favor and cancel the night before so they don't have to load the truck with your equipment and drive to your location.

18. Spike

Spike Legend

Jul 4, 2007
    I have already had this conversation with them. They know they may be taking it back with them.

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The installers get paid when they complete an install. If they take the time to come to your house and then you turn them away, they won't get paid and that time could have been used for another install.

Just wanted you to think about 'the little guy'; the evil DirecTV won't even notice.

20. drumdude

drumdude Cool Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Make sure your cable company supports TiVo before you switch. I left Directv and bought 3 TiVo HDs which never worked properly on Time Warner's network. I gave up after a year and sold them on eBay. I've been back with Directv since 2009 using HR series DVRs. Talk to other customers. TiVo will not tell you the truth. Those cablecards are the worst!