1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rate Increase

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mamoth, Apr 12, 2013.

1. mamoth

mamoth Cool Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I just noticed that we'll be having another rate increase. The issue I have with this is that I'm locked into a contract with them for a quoted price.

I called them and all parties will be subjected to the 4.5% increase.

The problem I have with this is that if DirecTV raises prices by $100, I'm bound to pay it, or pay the termination fee.

It just doesn't seem right. If I start a contract, it should go both ways. I continue to pay for my service at my current rate, and when my contract ends, I then get the bump in my bill.

This is standard (even for cable) to function where they don't increase things during your contract period. And if the Verizon increases rates during your 2 year team, you are able to get out of it without the termination fee. It seems like standard practice... except for DirecTV.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Where did you first hear this that caused you to call?

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    having = had?

4. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    D* generally increases it's cost once per year around February 10. Two years ago it was February 10, last year was February 9 and this year was February 7. When are you seeing another price increase? The 4.5% you're seeing is the cost increase for D* this year whereas the industry norm is closer to 11.5%.

Also, you did not sign an agreement for a cost. The agreement is because you aren't paying the cost of the receivers or the installation. Almost every service provider in the country has a clause that states something to the likes of "Services and prices are subject to change at any time without notice". This is how virtually any provider can change their costs without voiding the agreement. That isn't usually used to have price hikes and tell customers they're stuck, it's to prevent customers being able to drop contract on things that companies cannot control like Viacom telling D* they will no longer provide them their channels.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I think this has been discussed in several other threads about this year's rate increases.
    Whether this particular subject was discussed is up to you to investigate.

6. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    There is not going to be another price increase anytime soon until maybe Feb 2014 at least. It seems you may had some discounts expire.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Im guessing his promo price expired, and the bill was raised to the standard rate for the second year of his contract.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Cell service is under different requirements. If when you sign up they have a deal you can get some protections. But even in the current deal, the price goes up the second year.

But for a normal contract, equipment upgrade etc, it is very clear that price is subject to change. It's not buried in fine print legalese. But I can't see us getting an increase in fees already, unless it's a particular state in taxes, etc.

9. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I agree with you and was very surprised my first year. Only a few months after I signed up, there was a 4% price increase. I learned that was the standard way DIRECTV did business. And unless your promo specifically had a "Price Lock" for a 1 or 2 years, prices go up every year. Actually, if you sign up in Jan/Feb time frame, you would have a price hike in your second month. Which I think is unfair and edges on the verge of false advertising.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I do think new customers should always be locked in the first year. But I had to tell someone that getting a new receiver doesn't protect him from increases. He didn't believe me.

11. mamoth

mamoth Cool Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I noticed a $6 increase to my bill.

I am a new customer (about 4 months old) and my introductory rate did not expire. I will have 8 months to go.

So I called them. They said it's a 4.5% raise across the board.

The point of my post was that I am in a contract for a price I was quoted. If D* can raise my price at will, and I'm forced to pay it, that just doesn't seem right. If they gave me the option to bail if they raised my price, that would be fine.

As I said, Cable never raises my price as long as you are locked in for the contract period. Cell phone companies too. So, if D* decided to increase my bill $100, I'm stuck paying it or paying the huge early termination fee. It's just wrong. The contract should be on both ends. I pay the set amount, and that amount doesn't go up. Once my contract is over, then I will pay going rates.

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Where's the $6 increase coming from?

13. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Incorrect.

Providers can enforce a reasonable increase while a customer is under contract and 4% is certainly reasonable. $100 would not be and they'd face many lawsuits.

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    What's the name of your programming package, what was the old price and what is the new price?

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right. It's a balancing act between their profit, what they end p paying the other companies and what wold be fair to us. There was even a programming package that did not increase this year.

Only way to increase the bill that much is by the customers choice.

16. mamoth

mamoth Cool Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Your posts are not helpful. I used the $100 as an example. Maybe a tad exaggerated. You are taking a ton of stuff out of context.

The point of my post is that I don't think a rate increase of any kind is right while under contract. You can defend D* all you want. It's not going to change my opinion and obviously I am not going to change yours.

Thanks.

17. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'm not defending D*, I'm defending the law. It's perfectly legal and many other companies do it as well (FIOS, Dish, ADT, etc, etc). It has nothing to do with what YOU think is fair. So, no, you can't change my opinion on what is legal and what is not. Whether you can change yours, is only up to you.

Obviously, you're one of those posters that accuses everyone of defending D*, when they bring common sense into the discussion.

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I have two questions:

Is this price increase the one from Feb?
    Did you have a 'price lock' contract like RACJ2 mentioned?
    Otherwise, a standard contract with DirecTV says they reserve the "unrestricted" right to change their pricing at any time.

19. mamoth

mamoth Cool Member

Feb 12, 2013
    This is what was said to me on the phone. I just don't agree with it. The contract should work both ways.

And from the posts here, I'm not the only one that doesn't agree with the fact that D* is able to raise rates while under contract.

But for some, I guess the law is the only thing that matters. It's not against the law to text while driving in some states. Should it be done? Of course not. But I guess it's ok since it's not against the law.

20. mamoth

mamoth Cool Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Yer a riot man. Just please stop posting on this thread. I've made my point, you just want to be "that guy" and be a hassle for everyone and not offer any type of quality post.

We know it's not against the law. Doesn't make it right. Dang. Talk about trying to use common sense. You could use some.