1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raycom Media - No Contract after 12/31

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MikeW, Dec 21, 2010.

1. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    From KOLD.COM

Important notice for DirecTV subscribers
    There is a possibility this station could cease being carried by DirecTV at midnight on Dec. 31 if ongoing negotiations fail.

These are the affected stations...mainly on the South East Quadrant of the US but a few stretch a bit west...

http://www.raycommedia.com/stations/

Good to have the antenna installed....

2. ChuckZ

ChuckZ Mentor

Aug 17, 2009
    The local NBC affiliate here in Huntsville Alabama, WAFF, last night (21 Dec.) started running a crawl stating that they were in negotiations with DTV to stay on the air after 31 Dec.

On the WAFF website one of their statements says:

"6. Doesn't this come down to money?

No. It is about our commitment to providing the quality news, weather, sports and entertainment, programming our viewers have come to expect from us over the years.

This station invests millions in this community to produce the kind of local programming and news coverage that makes a difference in people's lives. DirecTV — who is using that content and charging you for it — should agree to fair compensation for the right to retransmit our signal."

I say, whenever I hear an athlete that is holding out from performing because of a contract dispute, or a TV station says "it's not about the money"...trust me it's about the money.

I really don't watch anything on NBC at this time, except the local news. However, with all three local stations pretty much running the same news, it wouldn't be too much for me to switch channels for my local news. I could care less if they were to be pulled from DTV unless WAFF and Raycom retracts their foolish demands.

ChuckZ

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Wait, it's not about the money but they want "fair compensation"? How, exactly, would they like to be compensated?

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    But it's not about the money .. :p

Seriously, though .. It's always about the money. They'll figure it out at some point.

5. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Turtles. :)

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Then the company must be owned by this kid.

turtles_I_like_them.jpg

7. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    !rolling!rolling!rolling

8. Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    Myrtle Beach
    I saw the message tonight on our local NBC station. I really couldn't care less. I can pick it up OTA using the antenna that comes with a Directv RF remote if I need to watch it.

9. bgothard72

bgothard72 AllStar

Oct 25, 2007
    Birmingham, AL Fox 6 is running the message now. Our Fox is on channel 6 and they just added a 6-1 alert channel.

10. Vinny*

Vinny* Legend

May 17, 2008
    I cannot pick up my local WWBT in Richmond with my indoor OTA antenna. All other channels come in fine. Any chance I can get a waiver for the DNS NY feed on NBC? Or should I not even bother.

11. ChuckZ

ChuckZ Mentor

Aug 17, 2009
    Vinny* et-al,

I wouldn't bother because as stated in the WAFF message:

"2. If DirecTV drops this station, won't DirecTV simply make network programming available from another station?

No. There are rules in place to prevent DirecTV from showing network broadcasts without the local broadcasters' programming. However, we are doing everything we can to ensure that we don't get to that point. If we do, viewers should remember that they can always get our programming over the Web or by using an over-the-air TV antenna."

For WAFF's (and I'm pretty sure all of the Raycom stations) whole message and if ya wanna laugh, go here:

http://www.waff.com/global/story.asp?s=13659842

12. vroten

vroten Cool Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Well WBTV in Charlotte(CBS) is scrolling the message about Directv as well.

http://www.wbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=13659842

Not too worried as I receive WBTV OTA with about 96% signal strength. As a matter of fact I wish Directv would credit my bill and cut off my locals as I receive all the Charlotte locals OTA.:rolleyes:

13. Rakul

Rakul Slacker

Sep 3, 2007
    Hopefully it doesn't come to that but I doublt being in Chesterfield you'd get one unless your far Southwest corner than maybe but I doublt it. They would just tell you to get an outdoor antenna. Hopefully I won't have to drag out my AM21 for the living room though on the first.

14. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Not to worry. There'll be a settlement at about 55 cents a sub, going up to 1 dollar by the fifth year of the contract, per the terms of the Fox NYC contract that now serves as the benchmark.

Of course, look for 10% annual rate hikes over the next five years.

15. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Same deal with WOIO (CBS Cleveland) and WUAB (Mtn Cleveland)

16. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Yeah, right, whatever.......

One of our stations is now running the crawl OTA. Why? Can't they limit the crawl to the signal provided to Direct instead of annoying OTA viewers?

On another note, where's all the outrage on this thread and folks yelling about how they're going to cancel and go elsewhere?

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Are they sure about that? This is in reference to the Time Warner/Sinclair dispute, but they seem to say they can do it.

"Earlier this year, Time Warner Cable signed a deal with Fox and as part of that deal, the network agreed to provide the cable operator its programming should one of its affiliates -- stations that carry the network's programming but are independently owned -- pull their signal."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ent...able-fight-with-sinclair-broadcast-group.html

18. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  19. hanz_erichson

hanz_erichson Mentor

Jan 18, 2007
    In Charleston, SC, they are running the alert channel too on channel 5-1. Unfortunately, the web page it tells people to go to does not currently work. It tells you to go to www.directv.com/alert for more information. Not a good thing for DIRECTV to have a broken web page to tell their side of the story to combat those crawls from Raycom.

20. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Locals shouldn't be allowed to charge any provider to re transmit their signal inside their dma. Period.