1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Raycom stations may drop from Dish at midnight (and now back on Dish again)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by FTA Michael, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Jul 31, 2013 #1 of 115
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2002
    I hadn't seen this mentioned here except for the KAIT thread. I ran into it on the site for KLTV (Tyler TX) and also saw it at WBRC (Montgomery AL). They all say that they may go dark on Dish when the deadline hits at midnight tonight, July 31. I'm guessing this is for all Raycom stations; the proof is left as an exercise for the reader. :grin:

Once again: Yadda yadda free over-the-air yadda profiting from someone else's content yadda. With a fresh helping of yadda Aereo yadda Congress yadda Hopper. Does that cover everything?

Personally, when Dish had a dispute with one of my local stations, I broke down and installed a serious rooftop antenna. That was one of the best purchases I've made. Here's hoping more viewers in the affected areas discover all the interesting sub-channels they'll get over-the-air.

2. Jul 31, 2013 #2 of 115
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
  3. Jul 31, 2013 #3 of 115
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Yep roof top antenna, one of the best investments I ever made. But honestly I've just come to the point where anytime we lose a channel for any reason, I just look at it along the lines of ya know I have dozens of other choices and usually more than I can watch at any given time on my DVR. Sure it sucks when it's a channel that I like but hey sometimes shows I like get canceled too and that sucks but somehow there's always something else to watch. I just figure it's in a channel's best interest to make sure they keep themselves in front of my eyeballs, because you know what, there's not a single one of them that's irrereplaceable and if I don't have one there's plenty of others to take it's place.

4. Jul 31, 2013 #4 of 115
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    +1

I've got so much recorded with more coming now that when CBS and CW go dark from the Raycom/Dish drama that I won't even miss them! Heck, until today I didn't even know they were owned by Raycom! :)

5. Jul 31, 2013 #5 of 115
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Biggest issue is the convenience of a DVR, but with Windows Media Center and other options, that's an easy workaround.

I don't have locals anyways, so I really don't care.

6. Jul 31, 2013 #6 of 115
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Don't Dish have certain DVR's or an add on for OTA?

7. Jul 31, 2013 #7 of 115
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Dish does have OTA available either built-in or as an add-on depending on DVR.

8. Jul 31, 2013 #8 of 115
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Thanks for the heads-up!

I've got 2 Raycom stations in my market (CBS & MyNet). No problemm getting them OTA, I live in the antenna farm. The only bad thing is losing the EPG. I wonder if the subchannels EPG (which actually have correct data for the Raycom station's MeTV (on 19) and Bounce (on 43).

I went to their website and found this:
    http://www.19actionnews.com/category/265597/attention-dish-subscribers

9. Jul 31, 2013 #9 of 115
    jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    No one has been able to answer why Dish drops the guide information OTA when they drop a station. They license the guide data from Tribune and not the station.

10. Aug 1, 2013 #10 of 115
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Dish Network, Raycom squabble blacks out local channels in 36 markets

Apparently it's the season for issues between networks and pay-TV distributors, as Dish Network customers in 36 networks are missing some of their local channels as of late last night. Dish and Raycom Media has failed to reach an agreement, so stations the network owns including ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CW and MyNetworkTV stations in 36 markets stretching from Cincinnati to Honolulu have gone dark.

Here is the full list of which ones, and as usual both sides are claiming the other is to blame for not wanting to reach a fair agreement. Your guess is as good as ours as to when the tiff will be resolved, however so far, unlike CBS vs. Time Warner Cable neither side is suggesting Aereo as a replacement.

The action affects viewers of various ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC-affiliated stations in the following markets: Cleveland, Ohio (CBS); Panama City, Fla. (Fox); Montgomery, Ala. (NBC); Knoxville, Tenn. (Fox); Savannah, Ga. (CBS); Toledo, Ohio (CBS, Fox); Columbus, Ga. (ABC); Richmond-Petersburg, Va. (NBC); Cincinnati, Ohio (Fox); Jonesboro, Ark. (ABC); Tyler-Longview, Texas (ABC); Biloxi-Gulfport, Miss. (ABC); Paducah, Ky. (CBS); Honolulu, Hawaii (CBS and NBC); Tucson, Ariz. (CBS); Shreveport, La. (CBS); Baton Rouge, La. (CBS); Charlotte, N.C. (CBS); Charleston, S.C. (CBS); Ottumwa-Kirksville, Mo. (Fox); Birmingham, Ala. (Fox); Dothan, Ala. (Fox); West Palm Beach, Fla. (Fox); Augusta, Ga. (Fox); Lubbock, Texas (NBC); Lake Charles, La. (NBC); Huntsville-Decatur, Ala. (NBC); Albany, Ga. (NBC); Louisville, Ky. (NBC); Hattiesburg-Laurel, Miss. (NBC); Wilmington, N.C. (NBC and Fox); Evansville, Ind. (NBC); Columbia, S.C. (NBC); Jackson, Miss. (NBC); Florence-Myrtle Beach, Fla. (NBC); and Memphis, Tenn. (NBC).

Also affected are various CW and MyNetworkTV channels in five markets: Baton Rouge, La.; Cleveland, Ohio; Honolulu, Hawaii; Paducah, Ky.; and Richmond-Petersburg, Va.

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

11. Aug 1, 2013 #11 of 115
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Wow, that "Commentary" by the VP was hilarious mudslinging.

12. Aug 1, 2013 #12 of 115
    Conway

Conway Legend

Oct 29, 2002
    Yes the local channels OTA.. shows same guide and locals on dish.. but this morning since WBTV out of charlotte has gone dark the channel OTA has the same see info guide so we loose the guide data. I can get WIS tv10 out of Columbia to as well and it has lost the guide data to

13. Aug 1, 2013 #13 of 115
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I loathe congressional involvement in most things, but is it time that Congress steps in to empower the FCC to stop this fee fight crap? Should SOMEthing legislatively be done, or is it really best to maintain the current free market environment here? Just wondering.

14. Aug 1, 2013 #14 of 115
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I think history shows the market will usually keep prices lower for consumers as long as government prevents monopolies.

By the same token, history shows that when government gets directly involved in pricing, prices go up.

15. Aug 1, 2013 #15 of 115
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Ban retransmission fees. If you have an FCC license, once the signal leaves your tower, you have no say over what happens to it.

2 people like this.
  16. Aug 1, 2013 #16 of 115
    PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    +1

1 person likes this.
  17. Aug 1, 2013 #17 of 115
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Fortunately, I get all the Charlotte locals on my TiVo Premiere via OTA, so I'm not really affected. I use my Dish Hoppers and Joeys for all other reception.

18. Aug 1, 2013 #18 of 115
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I hardly watch my locals also. My roommate just watch local junk. To each their own I guess.

19. Aug 1, 2013 #19 of 115
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    That might be an acceptable "solution" to this whole mess.

20. Aug 1, 2013 #20 of 115
    Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    You receiving the signal OTA for free is much different than a company picking up the signal for free and selling it to you for a profit.