1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

rc quad....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Nabisco, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    hey guys im looking on ebay and c the drones r going for like 200 ish and i want one lol.... what r the ups and downs to them.... what should i look for.... how long would the battery last can i upgrade it? any info on them would b great... i take it u can fly it off your phone and it has a camera so u can see what it is seeing.... wicked lol

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Got one last Christmas and I'll have to say it's the most fun toy I've probably every had. The current one has HD camera, but mine is just VGA quality. Battery life (flying time) is 12 minutes or so. Get at least two.

If you're into electronics and construction, there's a ton of tri and quad copters either in semi-kit or roll your own with fairly standard components.

3. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    how hard is it to change the battery... like can it b done quick? also couldnt u get a bigger or better battery for longer flight time? u mean make my own quad? i looked and didnt c any quads?? any brands or where can i find them i looked at the sites u provided

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    The AR Drone has a plastic covered foam body that is magnetically coupled to the chassis. (it comes with a large housing that covers the props for indoor / training flights or a sleek small body just covering the chassis) The body lifts off and exposes the battery - one connection and a velcro strap. Very easy to change.

I'm sure there are third-party batteries with more capacity that will fit.

The hobby electronics company, Parallax, has a kit and google or utube 'build a quadcopter' will return enough links for you to grow old. Good luck!

5. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    do u think that u could get a regular controller to work on it instead of a phone or tablet?

thanks!!!

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    That would require replacing the wi-fi receiver / subsystem with a standard RC receiver / transmitter. Beyond my time and patience.

The AR Drone becomes a wifi 'hotspot' for control from iphone/ ipad / android. Other projects for the DIY use standard RC gear.