1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

RC24 and universal remote feature

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by munangst, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. munangst

munangst Legend

Sep 1, 2006
    I've noticed that with the RC24, when I move the slider to one of the non-D* positions, the first button press is "eaten" by the remote. It appears to instead send a code to the HR20 that makes it display a message on the screen stating "The remote is now in [AV1|AV2|TV] mode". The second press with the slider in that position goes through to the correct device. For example, I have AV1 set to control my A/V receiver. When I move the slider to AV1 and press PWR once, I get a message saying "The remote is now in AV1 mode". The second time I press PWR it sends the power on/off signal to the receiver. After I move the slider back to D*, I have to press something on the remote (SELECT, etc.) to clear the message from the screen.

Is this the way the remote is supposed to work? Is there some sort of programming code I can set so that it doesn't do this? I understand that it's probably intended to reduce user confusion ("why isn't my remote working? oh, the slider is on AV1"), but it would be nice if it didn't eat the first button-press in each new mode. If they want to send the "remote is now in mode X" signal, that should be done along with whatever the "native" IR code is on the first button-press in that mode. It should also be cleared automatically when you switch back to D*.

2. Drillbit

Drillbit Mentor

Dec 9, 2006
    I noticed the same thing last week when setting up my new SONY receiver. So far I've just been living with it as it is. Two button pushes to turn the receiver on or off is hard to get used to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.