1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

RC64R turns Samsung ON, but not OFF?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by michaelhkim, Dec 28, 2008.

1. michaelhkim

michaelhkim New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I looked up several posts on remote issues with Sammy tv's, but seems like I can't make RC64R work with my Samsung LN-52A650 tv.

I have the remote programmed to 10702. I can turn the tv ON, but can't control the volume nor turn the tv OFF. I went thru all 20 or so codes for the sammy tv's, but none of them will turn the tv OFF nor control the volume.

I am starting to think that there might be a problem with the remote (however, it control controls the HR21 perfectly, and I also have a Pioneer receiver that also works with the remote).

Anybody have any ideas??

2. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Its upto the code you use and the model of TV you have if the ON & OFF are going to work, There is nothing you can do, it works or doesn't. Tv models from Panasonic, Mitsubishi and many ohers have the same problem, No where does Directv guarantee that these keys will work, only that the remote will control the receiver.

3. michaelhkim

michaelhkim New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    it's weird, but I had the remote working when I first set up the TV. Let me try again and update.

4. michaelhkim

michaelhkim New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    this is really weird: the remote actually works (using code 10702), it's only that the range is limited to around 6 ft or so (quite useless for me, since I sit about 14 ft away). The remote controls the HR21, the Pioneer Receiver, and Pioneer DVD player perfectly fine (all the equipment is located on a shelf right by the TV. Since I can turn the TV on, I am guessing that there is some sort of interference from the LCD that prevents or diminishes the IR signal from reaching the eye. Has anybody else experienced this problem? I tried the remote with my shades open, closed, at night without any lamps on - all with the same result.

5. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    You are using the TV power ON/OFF butons correct?

Try code 10812. This web site recommends it http://www.ezremote.com/setupcodehelp/DTV/ProductSelection.php

Only problem I have ever had is sometimes the remote doesnt turn the TV on. Always turns it on if the Receiver is on but sometimes will only turn on receiver with TV power on button requiring me to move selector to TV and use power button.

6. michaelhkim

michaelhkim New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    code 10702 for the Sammy LN52A750 actually works (I can control volume, turn tv on/off, even control the input selection), it's only that the remote doesn't work if I am more than 6ft or so from the TV. I can turn the TV ON from about 15 ft (haven't tried farther than that), but once the TV is on, the remote can't control it beyond the 6ft distance.

Again, I think the LCD might be interfering with the IR signal coming to the TV's eye (obviously the eyes on the HR21, receiver and dvd player are not being affected or they are less sensitive to interference). Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there was any workaround.

7. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I had a friend that had this same issue with a lcd tv. He wound up turning down the brightness on the tv and it got a little bit better but not much, beyond that i dont really have any other ideas!!

8. flogduh

flogduh Legend

Nov 3, 2005
    on my new Vizio, I used a code supplied in the Vizio set up sheet, codes which were not reflected in the DTV remote set up menu.

9. ArcinGuy

ArcinGuy New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    I know there is a compatibility issue with one of the samsung tv models and something, i'll check when i go in tomorrow and get back to you.