1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

RC65R just quit working???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lgb0250, Jul 29, 2010.

1. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Using this with an HR23-700. Has been working erratically for the last few days so I just now decided to change the batteries.

Changed them out and now it doesn't work at all. The RC65R won't control or operate the HR23, TV or receiver which I had it set up to do. Finally did a RBR and when it came back up, still nothing.

What's really strange is that I have an old Phillips remote that I used before going to the RC65R. Had it with a macro programmed to turn on the TV, receiver and HR23 the same way I had the RC65R setup. Now the Phillips will control the TV and receiver but it still won't do anything with the HR23. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Finally called DTV and found out the DuraCell batteries I put in are the problem. Changed them to a different brand while on the phone and it works perfectly! Tech guy told me it's something about the DuraCell's being just a touch shorter than other batteries and therefore they don't make proper contact. Go figure!

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Really?

WOW - that is one of the more interesting things I've read and learned here in some time. Honestly didn't know that.

Appreciate you sharing it.

4. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Indeed! I've had that length problem with some rechargibles, but not with a standard (or better) alkaline. Because two of my remotes are backlit, I use lithium energizers and get good life from them.