1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RC65RX Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DeweySat, Apr 23, 2011.

1. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    I see lots of references to the RC65RX as being a two-way remote. I take it that it makes it easier to program other equipment. There is nothing about it in the User Guide I received with my HR24-500. Is there a place to download a manual for the RC65RX?

Is it possible to program the RC65RX to control one DVR on IR and another on RF? I have been assuming that once you set the RC65RX for RF, then both DVR's have to be set for RF.

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    When you go to the Remote Control program screen with both a RC65RX and a compatible receiver, the setup dialog is different than it would be with a different remote or receiver. Just follow the prompts and it will lead you through the process.

I think you can set up the Directv, AV1 and AV2 choices independently for IR or RF.

3. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Thanks Bob. When I bought my RC65RB I received a very nice and detailed manual with it. Just thought there might be the same thing available for the RC65RX.

I will give the IR/RF a try.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Yes, you can have an IR/RF mixture. You could, for instance, set DirecTV to be IR and AV1 as well as AV2 to be RF, or vice versa.

5. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Dang, I did not know that, I will Have to give that a try. I must have missed that memo. :grin: Thanks

6. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    IIRC, the only way to get the two-way communication is IR mode. Which is why I would guess that the programming both IR/RF for the receiver was recommended.

I would think that also requires switching the receiver back to IR mode (but using slider on remote rather than following the displayed remote input sequence) when adding devices to the Directv remote or using third-party IR remotes. Then placing receiver back to RF mode when needed. Flipping the mode switch would bypass the redundant step of re-entering the partial RID # for RF mode each time.

I also noticed the RC65RB does not have the same device database. Not sure if the RC65RX just has a more up-to-date internal data base or does it have the ability to upload from an updated database in receiver or elsewhere? I use both models but don't notice any difference other than a different code for my TV. The RC65RB will not accept the latest code but uses an older code w/o issue.

Other than the slight differences, the RC65RB manual is useful for the RC65RX. I just remembered that the RC65RX remote has to be held within inches of the receiver's IR LED for the two-communication to work properly; otherwise, I had communication errors. YMMV.

7. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    How about that! Works like a charm. Thanks to both of you.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    FWIW, it worked for me from ~10 feet away.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. You need to have the receiver in IR mode in order to program the remote. Once programmed, you can switch back to RF mode.

- Merg

10. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Does that mean one receiver can be programmed for BOTH IR and RF at the same time? I wouldn't think so. Would really be useful if you could. IR is about 10 times faster than RF, but sometimes you need the RF in another room.

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Unfortunately, one receiver can't be controlled by IR and RF.

What was meant was that the remote has to be in IR mode in order to set the receiver for RF mode.