1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

RC71 / HR44 AV Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Goodwrnch03, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Goodwrnch03

Goodwrnch03 Mentor

Feb 23, 2007
    Ok I got the HR44 installed today and it came with the RC71. I have got the remote programmed to turn the tv on and off and it will control the volume on the av receiver.

However I cannot get the remote to power the av receiver on and off.

I have been through the set up three times and when you program the av receiver and it ask you to press the power button. When I do it turns the av receiver off and then I turn it back on.

But it will not turn the receiver on and off when in normal operation.

Any ideas??

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    The RC71 will not power on/off any A/V Receiver.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, that is normal. the RC71 maps the ON and OFF to the DirecTV and TV devices only

4. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    And yet in testing, when i set up my remote to control my denon receiver, to test it it had me test power, and it was discrete power at that! so they could, they just have chosen not to on purpose!

I dont see why they couldnt at the very least let us chose if we want on and off to turn our av receiver on and off as well, just like they let us decide what the volume controls.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Mine does, albeit indirectly. My Sammy tells my Denon to turn off with a press of the Off button on the '71.

6. dvdmth

dvdmth Icon

Jul 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I wish I had a TV/AVR combo that supported that. It would save me from having to grab a second remote just to turn the Onkyo on and off.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you can, get a "smart" power strip.

8. Goodwrnch03

Goodwrnch03 Mentor

Feb 23, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies, I have been traveling a couple of days. Looks like the Logitech will live on and the rc71 will be a dust collector.

9. Goodwrnch03

Goodwrnch03 Mentor

Feb 23, 2007
    BTW, when setting up it will power the receiver on and off.

This is stupid they do not send that on - off command to the receiver.

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    The remote is apparently not capable of sending signals to more than 2 devices at a time, just like all their past remotes. They've clearly done this by choice. I'd suggest getting a multi-device remote like a Harmony.

11. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I long time ago went to Harmony remotes for all my major setups (TV, DirecTV receiver, AV receiver, and Blu-ray) with one device works for me. It actually was my wife's frustration with having to use three or more remotes that caused us to look at some kind of universal remote. The best solution for us was Harmony with its rechargeable batteries and computer based programming. I have quite a collection of DirecTV remotes in a box in our storage area......something like eight or more. :grin: