1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re connect/Install tomorrow

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Gottria, May 22, 2010.

1. Gottria

Gottria Mentor

Aug 6, 2006
    I get my re-connect install tomorrow and I'm really hoping for 2 of the HR-24s and the H24. If no HR24s should I decline the install until they can give me the 24s?

Not sure if my dish will need replacing or not. I first had it installed about 6 years ago with a HR20-100, or maybe it was an HR20-700? Not sure. Also had an older Tivo SD-DVR hooked up.

Do the new units only have one RG6 coming in? Or will it still need 2?

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Were you disconnected for a long time? What does your current one say on it?

I would hold out for Hx24s myself but it is up to you.

3. Gottria

Gottria Mentor

Aug 6, 2006
    Not sure but it's oval shaped. Disconnect was in January.

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yeah, you probably have an AU9, which is the current dish. My guess is they will stick a SWM LNB on it and use a single RG6.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    :confused::confused::confused:

6. Gottria

Gottria Mentor

Aug 6, 2006
    Here is a picture of my dish.

[​IMG]

Sorry hilmar2k I can't remember the exact model I had before. I had to send it back. But it required 2 RG6 cables and had two bray filters on each line.

Matt1124, I will hold out for the Hx24s, I figure that I'm in it for another 2 years I might as well get the newest boxes while I can. Once they install something else I have a feeling it will be very difficult to get all of them exchanged for the 24s.

7. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    That is a slimline 5 you probably had the HR20 or the HR21 as they need 2 cables with that dish, and would need the B Band converters

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    That is an AU9 "Slimline" dish, which is the current dish used for all HD installs. They will likely replace the LNB and reuse the dish, assuming it is mounted properly.

There is no way to specify which receivers you get. You get what's on the tech's truck. There may be nothing but HR24s in your area, or their may be NO HR24s in your area, and no way for installers to change that either way.

9. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    My confused faces had more to do with the 6 years than the exact model, as the HR2x series hasn't been out for nearly that long, and the Slimline dish for even shorter.

10. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    So when a tech shows up to do the install and doesn't happen to have 24's on his truck, how much does it wind up costing the tech when the OP cancels the install (through no fault of the tech's)???

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I would guess they had gotten an upgrade somewhere in the 6 years. :)

Good call, don't hold out too hard. Just ask nicely and if they don't have them handy, go for something else.

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    A lot.

The tech pays for gas, vehicle wear-and-tear, and his time.

His completion rate also goes down, which can further affect his pay in various ways, from having his pay rate reduced to not being routed better jobs or as many jobs.

The fact is that the tech is stuck in the middle and has to eat the costs of everyone else's mistakes as well as his own.

13. Gottria

Gottria Mentor

Aug 6, 2006
    Damn, I sure hope you has some 24s on the truck. I know calling Directv and requesting them does not guarantee you get one but...I guess it couldn't hurt.

Funny the home page for DTV shows "Cutting Edge Technology" with a picture of the HR24, but it's a crap shoot if you get one.

14. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If it were me, I would give the installer a tip regardless of whether or not he shows up with an HR24. I would figure at least $10 would cover his gas and wear and tear cost.

If it isn't worth a few bucks to try to get an HR24, don't order it from DIRECTV.

15. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    One thing to keep in mind, depending on the market, the pool of techs could be on the small side for your sub-market.

Burn the guy once by sending him away for not having a receiver that you know they really can't guarentee is bad form. However, the odds of you getting that guy a second or third time goes way up and the odds of him doing anything beyond the absolute minimum required hit 100% nearly instantly.

Something to consider.

16. Gottria

Gottria Mentor

Aug 6, 2006
    I think that's called Karma...