1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re Installing Dish

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by Fuch, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Fuch

Fuch Cool Member

Jul 27, 2002
    The installer said he had to place the Direct Oval Dish on my roof toward the front of the house at its highest position to get over the tress in my back yard. I get signal wise A95 B72 C91.What I don't like is that you can see the dish from the road and when you pull in my drive way. I would like to move it. I have two positions in mind. I could move it forward about 10 feet to one of those 2 inch pcp pipes that are in most roofs. I would have to extend the pipe about 3 feet with a
    coupler and more pipe. My second position the chimney which is closer to the tress but its much higher than where the dish is now. I have and install kit and chimney kit from All Sat. My question is without moving the dish a lot and mounting it to the pipe or chimney what is the best way for me to find out which spot will give me the best signal I have a compass do I need any thing else? Also do you think that the pcp pipe extended will support the dish if I go that way. It is not very heavy. I was thinking about wind resistance. Also if i need to go higher from the chimney by adding a pole to mount the dish to what kind of pole should i use?

Thanks

2. DishDude1

DishDude1 Godfather

Apr 12, 2002
    I think I would leave it alone if I were you. Do you really think it is that unsightly?

3. Fuch

Fuch Cool Member

Jul 27, 2002
    You are write DishDude1, I'm just to fussy for my own good. I need to put it towards the back of the house.

4. DishDude1

DishDude1 Godfather

Apr 12, 2002
    Well good luck. 119 in our part of the country is very low, only 29 degree angle. Before you move the dish, make sure you have a location where you can see all three sat locations. If your moving closer to the trees, even if your going higher you still may not have a clear line of sight.

5. Richssat

Richssat AllStar

Jul 2, 2002
    Dennis,

The vent pipe with a coupling and 3ft length of PVC (often confused with PCP) pipe will NOT support the weight or potential wind load of the dish.

Not being able to see your house I can't tell you if you would be able to get a shot off of your chimney. To put a pole mount on the chimney you would need to be able to access the dish itself (not very easy to do on a pole on top of the roof) to make final adjustments.

As far as you relocating your dish, this voids any warranty on the install itself. If you move the dish and can't get a signal ( 3LNB dishes can be tricky to mount and aim) then you are going to have to pay an installer to come out and re-mount and peak your dish (anywhere from $75-$100 for a service call). Most of the time they will send the installer that did the first install back for the service call. He will probably charge you to put the dish back exactly where it was in the first place.

Having not seen your house I can't say what the dish/tree relationship is like but... When I install a dish in a heavily wooded area, I look for a place where I can get a shot, then go back about 10ft further from the trees. Those big green things made out of wood only get bigger as time goes on and the further away I mount the dish from them, the more years of trouble free operation the customer has.

Hope this helps.
    Rich

6. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I had to mount mine right on top of my house to get over my neighbor's trees. Although I'd prefer to have it lower, I have just gotten used to having it there. Even my wife doesn't complain about it any more. An oval dish is hard to aim just right. I'd leave it alone unless it is blocking your front door or something like that.

7. Fuch

Fuch Cool Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Thanks so much for all your help. Im now leaning to keeping it were it is.

8. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    just look at it as some part of the Landscaping...
    as Shrubs lets say, or a Large decorative stone or something...
    :)

9. Aug 1, 2002 #9 of 18
    Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    As a professional installer, I've done a lot of dish moving. You need replacemt shingles for roof repair. Almost always, you need more coax and new connectors.

10. Outside

Outside New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    One thing to keep in mind. If you are receiving your service off two satellites, the position of the dish itself is not actually where you need to get a clear view through the sky. As an example, for my house the dish itself needs to be pointed at 239 (1/2) degrees. This is in the middle of the two sats which are 9 degrees apart. From the point of the dish outward I actually need 235 and 244 degree clearances (through trees, obstacles etc.)

Another thing I did was to rip a narrow piece of plywood 1 ½" wide by approx 4' long. At one end I attached a scrap piece with small nails at the angle needed for my location. If you level the long piece you can site down (actually up) the angled piece to check for clearance over obstacles. You can also use this as you are standing down on the ground. Align it with a piece of siding (if you have some type of lap siding, it should be relatively level) or window sillas you are standing down on the ground. If, at ground level you are close to clearing the obstacles, you can better figure out what your options are once you get up higher, on the roof, or a wall. I try to avoid installing on the actual roof surfaces at all cost if possible and consider it a "very last case option"

Remember: with offset dishes (both dish and direct tv) the actual angle to the satellite is much higher than the angle the dish actually faces. This might give you the additional needed clearance.

One last thing: Suunto makes a compass / clinometer (measures incline) that is a nice small portable device but is very pricey at about $180 dollars. Not worth it for one job. Maybe you could make a deal with an installer and have him site you roof for you.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    DBS dishes are cool, very cool. Show yours with pride. 98% of the population envies you. The other 2% are decorators. :D

IMHO.

12. Doug E

Doug E Legend

Jul 6, 2002
    Nick, your are verrrrry cool! and 100% correct.

I have a question re switches. In another thread a guy mentions a 421 switch. Anyone know what this is?

13. HTguy

HTguy Icon

May 6, 2002
    Just a typo, I think. Must mean SW21.

There's no such thing as a 421.

14. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    For the really tough situations, I have a laser theodolite that projects a horizontal or vertical line in the night sky. You set the azmuth and the elevation or right assention and declination of the position of the satellite in the sky. You can actually see the exact position, where the trees are blocking the signal. Where you do not see the laser, you know you have a clear line of sight. The only problem is that it has to be used at night.:D

15. Fuch

Fuch Cool Member

Jul 27, 2002
    I have a laser theodolite

Mike 500 How much are they? And where do you get one

16. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    I got two for my business about three years ago. They cost about $350.

If you are interested, I can part with one for $220 delivered. It has a standard surveyor's tripod, but could be leveled on a flat surface about 6 inches around.

http://members.aol.com/mhz500/laser.jpg

Here is photo of it. It is in mint condition. The other one is heavily used. I make quite a bit from the locak dealers for sight surveys at night.

17. DishDude1

DishDude1 Godfather

Apr 12, 2002
    Now all you need is a more powerful one to burn the trees down!

18. RJS1111111

RJS1111111 Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002