1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? Re: Older Receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mgreenej167, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgreenej167

mgreenej167 New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    I'm finally killing basic cable to my home and am going to put DirecTV receivers in the rooms with the two TVs that only have basic cable. Since I'm also replacing the TVs with newer HDTVs, I'm leaning to H21s.

But after reviewing a variety of comments in the forums, I'm also considering the possibility of delaying H21s until the spring -- I've currently got a Spaun 5802 multi-swtch already in place, and a triple LNB oval dish mounted high on my roof. Not somewhere you want to be in the winter...I'm thinking that by waiting til spring, the weather is better and I can work an upgrade (professionally installed) to the new Slim 5LNB dish, SWM-8, etc.

In the meantime I'm also considering just using two older SD receivers I retired a few years back. Requires no financial outlay at this time except for the monthly receiver charge. I know they have only S-video output and I won't get any D* HD channels (I already plan to put OTA HD onto these TVs for local channels), but was wondering if I would lose any other "features" of DirecTV with these older SD receivers. They are:

Hughes Platinum HIRD-E45
    Sony SAT-B2

Thanks in advance for any input

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You won't get any of the new interactive features (Active channel, mix channels, etc.).

But you should get all of the channels in your programming package, and they should otherwise work just fine for you.

I would certainly give them a try before spending $$.

Carl

3. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I have a receiver back before there was D :eek2: I'm sure that won't pick up anything now. I don't know why we have kept it all these years :rolleyes:

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    What receiver do you have?

5. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Well I thought it was before D, but I noticed on the box it said DSS was a trademark of D :confused: Anyway the box had on the front of it DSS and RCA.

6. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    That's a very early DIRECTV receiver from the sound of it. It might still work, but generally it's not hard to get new SD hardware from DIRECTV for very little money, so you have to decide its worth.

7. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    If you retired these units "several years ago" they may need an access card upgrade. The old series 3 cards (with the picture of the football player) no longer work. You will need to upgrade to an access card 4 which DirecTV charges $15 for including shipping via FedEx overnight. If you need 2 cards, I'm sure you will not have to pay $30 since most of the charge is for shipping.

Give customer service a call and check it out. You will be ahead of the game reactivating your old equipment as no commitment hassles.

8. kaminsco

kaminsco Guest

Nov 27, 2006
    does it look like my avatar? This was the orginal D* units, and RCA had the rights for the first million units. After that, you saw other manufactures.

9. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I'll tell you, those first units were huge. And slow. But they will probably work forever.

10. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I still have one in use at our summer house, very slow.

11. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    One of the drawbacks of using the old receivers is scrolling through the onscreen guide can be painfully slow!

:)

12. jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000 Hall Of Fame

Feb 15, 2007
    Manchester NH
    mine is still going........
    see sig.:D

13. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    You may not be able to get local channel programming on the Sony SAT-B2 depending on which satellite your local channels come from. It is not Multi-Sat capable.

You would have to call DIRECTV to find out what satellite your locals come from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.