1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

re-routing my voOm antenna to my 811....

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by terfmop, Apr 9, 2005.

1. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    Since voom is on it's way out, I decided to use the OTA antenna that was supplied with the install for my 811 OTA. The current install had the OTA going to a switch located at the back of the voom dish, and from that switch ran a RG6 cable going to each of my 3 voom receivers. I had thought the process would be as simple as connecting a RG6 cable directly from the antenna to my 811 OTA input...not so.

When I ran the RG6 straight to my 811, I was only able to pick up 1 station (I had 5 when connected to the voom receiver). However, when I ran the OTA cable back through the switch; and then from that switch, I sent one of the cables to my 811. Everything seemed to perk back up and the 811 found all the digital stations I had when it was with the voom receiver. Then I decided to unhook my voom receivers. After I did that, my OTA signal bottomed out.....I reconnected one voom receiver an voila, the OTA signal was back.

I gather that the voom receiver powers the OTA and without the voom receiver connected, the ota is unpowered . What will I need to do to connect this OTA antenna to my 811 without having to have the voom receivers hooked up?

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I don't know hardly anything about Voom hardware, but it's quite likely that a simple power inserter will do the trick for you.

Question is, what power rating is needed?

It's lilkely to be 13/18V @ 100-500ma. Any voltage specs on the Voom switch or receiver?

3. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    the switch is a "Winegard power passing multiswitchVM-3400 ". And, as you mentioned, there is a 13V and 18V listed on the switch

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004