1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Re-run cable from dish and adding dish heater

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dueport, May 30, 2013.

1. dueport

dueport Mentor

Dec 2, 2009
    My dish is mounted to the side of our house with vinyl siding and the cable runs along the edge of the garage roof and side of garage until it goes through a hole in the siding into the basement. I'd like to bring the cable in through a hole in the siding right next to the dish so I don't have all that cable running along the exterior of my home. Bringing the cable in near the dish means it will enter the house in the attic before running down through the walls into the basement for distribution. Three questions: 1.) what is the best way to seal around the point of entry between the cable and vinyl siding (installer used caulk but I've seen wiring skirt products on some homes - any thoughts or recommendations?); 2.) while I'm doing this project it would be a good time to install a hot shot heater - do you see any issues doing so with a point of entry in the attic?; 3.) what code and safety considerations should I consider in this situation (ie I think I have to ground cable in attic within a few feet of point of entry, etc). Any advice people could provide as I plan for this project would be much appreciated.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    most techs use silicone to seal the holes. the dish cable is preferably to be be grounded outside before it enters the house.