1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-Use dead HD-DVR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bgottschalk, Dec 14, 2010.

1. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007
    So a couple months ago the hard drive on my HR22-100 died and an installer brought a new DVR for me. He left the old DVR in case D* asked for it.

Now we are looking to add a new TV and want a DVR to go with it. I've spent more on the TV than I wanted to and don't really relish another $200 for the DVR.

What do you think the odds are that I can add a new hard drive to the dead DVR and have D* activate it for me?

Failing that - I may have to see what kind of deals they will give me to sign another 2 year contract...

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You better check you account online and see if DirecTV charged you for the non return of that DVR or maybe it's still listed as active. Did you pay anything for that replacement?

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Also, if it is a leased receiver, the lease agreement prohibits replacing the harddrive in it. If it is listed as an owned receiver on your account, throwing another harddrive in the receiver might work. You can also look at just hooking up an external HDD whether it is a lease or owned if the issue was truely just the harddrive.

- Merg

4. steve13

steve13 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    One of my HR21s just died on Monday (hard drive failure). I don't know when I will be getting a replacement - they say they are on back order. I wasn't very happy with that, and after speaking to retention, she said the order status says it should be shipping within a few days. In the meantime, she gave me a credit for my programming package for next month. I thought that was very reasonable, although I still would prefer getting the new HD-DVR in the next day or 2.

We'll see what happens....

5. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007

My account shows just the 2 DVR's. I got the impression the installer was supposed to take the old DVR with him, but he left it just in case D* asked for it so I would have something to send back.

It was a leased model and I didn't pay for the replacement. That's why I'm guessing they would have the serial marked as replaced and probably wouldn't want to activate a DVR they already replaced because it was dead. I can definately understand that.

I guess I can call and see what they offer in the way of new DVR discounts...wish me luck :)

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    When you called to deactivate this DVR did the CSR mention that they would send a recovery kit?

To cover yourself you should call and ask about that.

7. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007

I didn't call to deactivate it. I called and said that the hard drive was dying. They sent a tech out to look at it who agreed. He brought a new DVR for me and left the old one "in case" D* asked for it. They haven't yet.

8. shellyqt

shellyqt New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    The reason why the tech didn't take it and that DTV doesn't want it is because it won't work with the latest technology. If it did, they would've been able to repair it. They have no use for it; it is garbage so you can just throw it away.

9. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    You will only show the active receivers on the account. The defective receiver was leased, so it needs to be returned to DirecTV or they will charge you for it if you terminate service. Call them and ask for a "recovery kit" for the bad receiver. They will send a box and a pre-paid return label.

You shouldn't have much trouble getting a DVR for no charge if you will re-up for 2 years. The absolute most you should expect to pay is $99. But a little persistence will easily get that down to $49 or $0.

10. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    There is nothing correct about this.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    An HR22 will indeed work with the latest technology.

12. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Was the HR22 your only DVR at the time? If so and you now show 2 DVRs then the HR22 was never deactivated.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And DirecTV will put a new HDD in it in order to refurbish it and then lease it out to someone else...

- Merg

14. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    As many have said, DO NOT FOLLOW THIS POST'S INSTRUCTION.

I just had an HR21-100 replaced last week with no trouble. They mailed it to my house in about 3 days with the return instructions. I now have a working HR22-100.

15. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007
    I called twice today - $149 was the best they would offer me... :( I guess I can try again, but they were pretty adamant. I may see if I can get a non dvr hd receiver for $49. I have 2 DVR's already and could use the receiver to watch DVR'ed shows since I have whole home DVR service.

Oh - and I had 2 DVR's before the replacement - and 2 after. So, they apparently did deactivate it. But I have no intention of throwing it away. :)

16. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Your best bet will probably be to buy an eSATA drive for it and have DirecTV reactivate it. There are several good deals on eSATA drives out there right now, most under $100 if you only want 1TB.

17. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    You have more faith in their "refurbishment" program than do I.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Oh, I know that their refurbishment procedure is lacking. But, if you return a DVR with a dead harddrive, they will replace it. I think all they really look for is if the receiver boots up.

- Merg

19. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    That I believe, given that I had delivered to me within a few days in 2007 following getting a brand new HR20-100 with a bad OTA tuner, a tangibly buzzing (from the drive) HR20-700 refurb, and another HR20-700 refurb with a bad HDMI output.

20. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007

Wooohoooo...Persistance pays off...I was able to get an HD-DVR for $49. :hurah:

I had them send it to me instead of scheduling an install since I am already all wired up. Now I'm wondering if I should have let the installer come since the CSR had to "mark" it as a replacement to get it sent to me. I wonder if it will end up being a refurb because of that. Oh well...can't complain too much at that price.