1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reaching out for some help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by sublime118, Feb 25, 2012.

1. sublime118

sublime118 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I am a potential new customer and have some basic install questions. Here is my proposed set up-

1 HR34- Living room main TV
    1 HD Box- Master Bedroom
    1 HD Box- Bedroom 2
    1 HD Box- Bedroom 3
    1 SD Box- Bedroom 4
    1 SD Box- Screened in Porch

With the free installation of 4 receivers, how much will this cost to install? All outlets are already wired. The house is only a year old so I'm assuming it is RG6. I have 1 wired router in the living room by the TV.

I will be switching from Comcast. How many wires from the dish to the house should the Direct service require on this set up? I was curious as to how everything will be wired.

With the screened in porch already wired, I am thinking of just splitting the signal off of one of the other receivers and saving $6 a month, as TV isnt watched very frequently out there, and wouldn't mind having to go in the house to change the channel. Can this be done easily?

Bedroom 4 is upstairs and I will need to keep the existing outlet up there for my cable modem. How much will it cost to get the outlet ran? I have a huge walk in open attic that has easy access to anything up there so it won't be difficult at all.

Do any of the HD boxes have Digital Optical Output? I have a surround sound reciever in the living room and would love to run the optical cable instead of the coax. What would be some things about moving the HR34 to the bedroom that would be bad that I haven't thought of yet?? The only thing I can think of is one of my routers is right next to the TV in the living room and would make connecting to the internet super easy.

Anything else I'm not thinking of? I was a former Dish customer in 2005 and had horrible reception due to a bad install / through the trees / paid 2 years for something I could only watch a whole show during the winter so I am a little gun shy on the satellite deal. Dish will never get another penny of my money no matter what they do, so I am excited to get Direct. I have 0 trees around my house so LOS will not be an issue. Thanks so much for your time and input!

BD

2. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    The HR34 equals 5 tuners and the rest equal 1 tuner, therfor you will have 10 tuners over 6 recievers.

The best way would be to use either a SL3 or SL5 LNB with 4 coax outputs feeding to a SWM16. This will allow for all tuners to function correctly.

If you drop the reciever for the porch and connect a tv from the nearest indoor reciever using a componet to coax (from rad shack) then you will be able to watch both tv's at the same time on the same channel.

In bed 4 you say you wish to keep your cable modem, do you have 2 coax at that location? If only 1, then you can not connect both DTV and the modem.

I would relocate the modem down to where ALL coax come into the house and then that free's up the coax in the bedrm for DTV.

Yes the recievers do have digital audio outputs.

Also, when this is all over and done with, you should have only one network router in the system, NEVER use two or more, if you need more wired connections, always just add a switch.

3. sublime118

sublime118 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Thanks so much for the response. It looks like I'm gonna keep the tuner on the porch as it would require running more cable which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Relocating the modem isn't an option as that's where the main computer and phone and all is hooked up. That one coax will be the only Comcast line in the house. It's upstairs and I don't use the router for wireless connection just wired. Basically It has the modem input, 1 wired connection to the computer upstairs, and 1 wired connection to the router downstairs. I will replace that with a switch if needed, but everything has functioned normally since I installed it.

Any ideas how much this install should cost? I am thinking they will have to run coax up to the upstairs room. That will be super easy for them as the attic is so open.

Thanks again!

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I went to Directv.com web site and priced out your package. $99 installed. Now a standard install is normally running the coax on the outside of the house and drilling into the room where you're installing it, but it sounds like your attic will do just as well. Something you're going to have to work out with your installer.

5. sublime118

sublime118 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Thanks, I saw the Free installation however, if they have to run the 1 coax into attic I figured they would charge for that. Also I thought up to 4 receivers get installed free. I have been researching this for days and want to make sure I'm doing the right things prior to ordering!

BD

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The web site quoted the install for your job as $0.00. So that's what it is.
    The attic/bedroom 4 install will be something you have to discuss with your installer. DirecTV's web site says "routing cables through more than 1 wall or fishing cables between walls" falls under custom work. So you might have to pay a fee for that one drop.

EDIT/Add: I know their web site says free install for 4 boxes, but under the Q&A it has this:

7. sublime118

sublime118 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I should clear that though as the cable is already ran to a different outlet in the same room it just has a splitter on it (1 goes to TV, and one goes to modem on other side of the room) . So it would only have to come in from outside wall into attic and tie into the existing cable.

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    When your installer arrives, show your set up. Show him where he ties into all your home-runs and make sure he knows not to disconnect your cable modem (I'd put some sort of a label/tape on it so he won't forget). It doesn't sound like the 4th bedroom will be difficult -- but whether it is 'custom' and require an additional charge will be up to the installer.

9. sublime118

sublime118 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Sweet, another possible scenario is the box where all the cable comes into the house is on the opposite side of the house where the dish should be located. There are 2 satellite dishes on the neighbors house but they appear to be aiming southwest instead of South. I think due south is straight off the back of my house. I'm thinking it will be easier to mount the dish on the back left of the house and bury the cable to the incoming box. I will bury the cable myself if I have to.

10. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Since you have 10 tuners, you will need a SWiM16, and this requires 4 cables form the LNB to the SWiM16 box. From there, each of the two SWiM outputs will support up to 8 tuners, so make sure you partition them correctly so you don't overload any one port. Good luck.

11. sublime118

sublime118 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I guess the total tuner count had me confused. It seemed like to me that I would be able to use the hr34s 5 tuners to feed the TVs in living room, master, 2, and 3.
    What is the advantage of the HR34? I don't necessarily need 5 tuners for 1 TV. It seems like the technology is missing something. I was looking at it as 1 main tuner for 4 TVs. But if I understand it correctly I will have total control in living room and have to set something tto record in there. But I will have access to the recordings on the hr34 box in the other. 3 rooms. I was thinking all the remotes will be synched to the hr34 via RF or something. I may need another couple of days reading before I order.
    Will the HD dvrs do the same thing as the hr34? I looked at the rvu technology and I have all Samsung TVs but unfortunately they are 2010 and 2009 models.
    What am I missing? Thanks so much for the replies / education

BD

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You are missing the fact that the RVU client boxes to do what you are talking about, are not available yet. They would use 3 of the tuners on the HR34 for 3 added rooms. Right now, they are using HD receivers to take their place. Since the receivers have built in tuners, they dont use any of the HR34's, so you end up with 8 tuners for the HR34 and 3 receivers.

I have no idea why they would release the server without the clients being made available (except for some high $ Samsung TV's) which people are probably not going to have in their bedrooms.

13. sublime118

sublime118 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2012
    That certainly sounds like the missing link. If I got this right, someone could get their recievers replaced with RVUs in the future but still have to pay $6.00 per tv (the same as the boxes). And the only real down side is not being able to start recording something from any room but the room that the hr34 is in.

So the logical thing to do would be get the hr34 anyways and keep the HD boxes in all the rooms. As the price for 2 hd dvrs and 2 hd boxes is $99 and the price with 1 hr34 and 3 HD boxes is $99. Then in the future get rvu's and have total control of everything from any room if I feel like I need it. Im getting there on the thinking part. . . . Any other thoughts?

14. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    I think this needs further investigation. In looking over all the installation instructions for the wireless CCK, it appears to be configurable as just a wired injection point. Moreover, it has two coax connections so you can put it in-line with a receiver and inject the network signal on the coax without having to run a coax back to the splitter. And, if I am not mistaken, it can also be used wirelessly in this same configuration. I think D* did this to ease installation so they could make things easy and market it as a "self-install" option

15. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    sublime you say you have a spliter in the attic that both your tv and your cable modem are connected to, 1) do you have more then these two lines to the splitter? 2) you also say that you have a either line ran downstairs to a router, is this truely a router or a switch? How many devices do you have at this router? Also, is this a wireless?

If you only have the two upstairs lines, you will not be able to run both the satellite and the cable over the same line.

You also say your phone is at the upstairs location, is this the only phone you have or is it tied into your house wiring to give you phone in other locations?

Where are all of the other tv cables connected at?

From the outside of your house, if all cables are connected in a central location, then moving the modem should not be that hard and will also allow for the phone.

You can exchange the router for the modem, connect the router to the modem, then upstairs you connect the computer to the line from downstairs.

You would still need to add a new cable downstairs for either the modem or the tv, but this will be a lot eaiser then trying to do this in the attic.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I THINK what he has is one cable going to the attic/4th bedroom with a 2-way splitter. One for TV one for cable modem. What he wants to do is keep the cable modem, but run the directv cable to the attic, put in a barrel connector from the attic in line to the cable that feeds the 4th bedroom HD receiver.

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I believe what cabletech was referring to was that if the OP only has the one coax to that bedroom and the OP requires the cable modem to be hooked up there, then you can't have a DirecTV receiver there as well.

In that case, the modem either needs to be moved to another location so that one coax can be used for DirecTV or another coax needs to be run to that location.

As for the CCK, you are correct. It can be placed in-line as a pass-through with a receiver now and if it is not near a router to be connected via CAT5, it can connect back to the router wirelessly.

- Merg

18. sublime118

sublime118 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Answers in red

19. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Sublime118,
    There is one more point to cover. You mention that you are leaving Comcast as your TV provider, but are they your internet provider too? If so, do you have one of their new modem/routers? If you do, you need to check and see how it is connecting to other devices. One of Comcast's latest routers uses the Class A private network addressing (that starts with 10.x.x.x) versus the Class C network that uses 192.168.x.x address space. A number of users have had serious issues connecting this router with the Direct wireless CCK. Basically, if your router has the 10.x.x.x addressing you cannot connect to DirecTV's CCK wirelessly.
    Bob

20. sublime118

sublime118 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2012
    They are my internet provider. The modem is an old one of theirs which has the phone jack on it for the voip. I plan on replacing it during the next week and buying my own modem and using vonage for the phone. I will have only internet from comcast.
    If I only hook up the hr34 to the internet (wired wont be a problem as they will be right next toeachother) what will I lose from this? Meaning do the 3 HD boxes need to be hooked up to the internet also?

I really appreciate the help with this by the way!