1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to switch from Comcast

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by T-Mac, Feb 16, 2012.

1. T-Mac

T-Mac AllStar

Feb 16, 2012
    Comcast's latest price-gouging has me livid. When I checked out DirecTVs current new customer offer, I was shocked at how much more I can get for less. I've browsed the forums for a few days but have a couple basic questions before I make the switch (I've never had anything other than cable).

I just have two TVs in the house, a big plasma in the family room and a smaller LCD in the master bedroom. I think I want the new HR34 for the family room and an HD receiver for the bedroom (non-DVR). This will get me the whole home DVR so that I can watch anything recorded on the HR34 in the bedroom, right? (We've never had a DVR so I'm excited to finally join the present).

What about the cinema connection thing? Will they set that up on the HR34 only or will it work on both TVs? (I'm going to keep comcast internet for it's great speed and I do have a wireless router if this matters.)

The coax is run from the outside of the house to 3 oulets (two near the TVs mentioned above and 1 outlet feeding the broadband modem in a different room). Does this sound like a fairly clean install? Or am I going to have holes drilled in 3 rooms and cables strung all over the place?

Thanks for helping me make this decision.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Just remember to factor in the price after new customer discounts.

Right, anything recorded on the DVR will be viewable on the non DVR. This doesn't require the HR34, but it does have benefits. You can also set something to record from the receiver to the DVR. One thing you cannot do is pause or rewind live TV from the non DVR. You can hit record and go off the recording that started.

It will work with both boxes, but most features it supports requires a DVR.

They won't be able to use the Comcast cable, since you're keeping Comcast for Internet. Even if you weren't, not all coax used for cable works. You will need one coax cable going to each box. You can use wifi to connect them to the Internet, you don't need a coax cable going to that room.

3. T-Mac

T-Mac AllStar

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks for the reply.

The Comcast line from the pole connects to a 3-way splitter on the side of my house. I was thinking perhaps the installer could just disconnect the two lines that feed the TVs and connect them to the dish. The third line for internet would be left alone since I'm keeping that active.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Do you know if the current cabling is RG59 or RG6?

5. BoostedBlazer

BoostedBlazer Cool Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Good question! I highly recommend the switch, especially if you are looking for good HD. Make sure the tech that comes out to install it does run all new cabling and doesn't hook into any existing for this exact reason. If any of the pre-ran stuff in the residence is RG-59 it'll work but.... The issues could be numerous. Also it's a personal preference but I wouldn't recommend putting the dish on the roof and try to keep it as low to the ground as possible within good line of sight options. I have to say this at least 5 times a week, it's not a broadcast antenna and the height above ground doesn't provide any gain. My best friends is located about 3 feet off the ground in his back yard and he's never once had an issue.

6. T-Mac

T-Mac AllStar

Feb 16, 2012
    I have no idea what type of coax it is. The house was built in 1998 and the coax was pre-wired.

This could be a showstopper since I'm not sure the wife is going to want holes drilled and cable wrapped on the outside of the house.

How much for a "in-wall" install and is it worth it?

7. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    You are right that is the way to do it. Doubt that RG-59 would have been installed in 1998. Unless there is very little exposed cable outside you should see what it is written on the outer jacket, markings are usually every few feet. Using existing cable may be more about the power supply that runs the dish than getting signal to the receiver.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    This is just my opinion, but if the current cabling won't work, and it makes the wife happy, it's worth it. I did not go this route.

If you do need wall fishing, I would probably look to see if there are local installers that are DirecTV resellers. Not a Best Buy type place, but the type of place that has the really good techs. Not all installers are created equal.

9. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm sure the current cabling is fine. Cable to 3 rooms on a splitter now. Sounds like the modem cable will get barrelled and a power inserter between the 34 and a 2 way to Swm lnb. All should be fine. Pull the trigger.

10. Riverpilot

Riverpilot AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    I just got mine installed a few weeks ago with the HR34. They used the pre-existing wiring on the inside. My house was also built in 1998.

I did a pole install, and they ran 4 wires from the dish to where all my cable comes in in the corner of my basement. Used the old wire from the outside for my internet (had to keep my high speed internet. lol) They hid the wires underneath my siding, but they could have buried the cables as well.

My wife also hates cables, didn't want to see the dish when looking out the window etc.. lol :) so I found a spot hidden behind our chimney on the ground where she can't see it. So, she's well pleased about the whole thing. Even admitted that we shouldn't have waited so long to get it. lol..