1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reaiming my dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by cvos34, Dec 19, 2009.

1. cvos34

cvos34 Cool Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Our landloard had roofers put up new shingles to day and they removed the dish from the roof! They did put it back up but now I only have a signal of about 65-67% And I can not get any HD or local channels. I called directv to have them come out to realin it, but even with the protection plan and only been with direct for 4 months now they want $50 to come out and do this! They say it is 3rd party damage!? It is not damaged! Just needs to be realinged. How can I get this realinged? I'm not at all happy with directv right now. A very simple task for them, but will not work with me. I did talk to my landlord and he is willing to pay the money, but directv is not willing to give him any kind of proof of payment. What can I do? Can I realign it my self? If so what do I need to do?

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The protection plan doesn't cover the realignment of the dish in this case, since it was removed by the roofers. Thats why the CSR correctly called it third party damage. The $50 is for what is considered a "relocate".

The charge should show up on your bill which may be enough proof for your landlord.

3. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    You could repoint it yourself. The fact that you have signal means they attempted to get it back where it was. As far as the fifty dollars goes............ride a cab to work one time and see what it costs to operate a vehicle. Directv is providing the signal you contracted for and is protecting the equipment you are leasing. When third parties mess with your stuff you are on your own.

Joe

4. cvos34

cvos34 Cool Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Will that be a problem if I repoint the dish? A problem for directv? I looked at it this morning from an up stairs window and it still needs the two small braceing bars attached to the roof. I guess me and my son can reaim it to day. Is the best way to have one watch the signal metter and the other one move the dish?

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I would suggest you get DirecTV to properly align the dish. You may be able to adjust it and improve your signal, but you might also make things worse. If you do try, go very slow, make very small adjustments and pause then check signal. Use a soft pencil or sharpie to mark all of the alignment mating surfaces first, so you can move it back to where it was if necessary.

6. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Do it the way carl6 described. It will be ok without the bracing bars..(monopoles) but they are recommended.

After the signal is back is the time to set the braces...an installer with a meter would mark the dish....verify the mast is plumb and the braces are set...then begin again.

Work (peak) one parameter at a time...left right (azimuth) then up down (elevation)...the tilt is probably ok. Remember you are very close now and very small movements will give you max signal..90s are fine.

Peak the 101 & 119 then look at the 103c...should be very close.

Go for it! Report success.

Joe

7. cvos34

cvos34 Cool Member

Aug 17, 2009
    We got the signals back! We had mid 90's. Now have 93-94 on a cloudy day. All HD and locals now come in. One thing, the roofers still need to put the rest of the mounting screws in the roof. Including the braces. Just two screws hold it to the roof now. I will make them do that. That way if it leaks it's on them and can't blame me for it. Thanks for all the responses.

8. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...

I'mn glad you got it going; however still am a tad confused why you were upset with DirecTV to begin with as indicated in your post.

Think of it like this.
    You buy a new car with a 3 year warranty. 4 months after purchase you get rear ended by another car. The dealer/manufacturer will indeed fix it; but at a charge since the damage / condition of your car is a direct result of accident. the warranty does not cover neglegence/acts of god or abuse, which in your case could be considered any of the aformentioned.

Another such senario using a new car with the same extended waranty is using a 3rd party to jack up or raise your vehicle. By doing this, you just voided the warranty for any modifications to existing manufacturer parts including anything that could reasonable occur in terms of incidental damage to other parts such as the transmission.

*BTW, although you mentioned you achieved mid nineties in terms of signal strenth and that you were now also receiving HD channels, what is your sugnal readings for the transponders located on 99 and 103? Although anything 60%+ will give you a picture you may find that even slight cloudiness will become an issue if they are not peaked as well.

9. cvos34

cvos34 Cool Member

Aug 17, 2009
    On the signal meter 99c: 78 99s:N/A
    103c: 88-89 103s: N/A
    On the other meeters:
    1-8 88 95 84 89 85 92 82 88
    9-16 86 92 82 88 85 94 - -
    17-24 - - - - - - - -
    25-32 - - - - - - - -

99c
    1-8 79 89 74 83 77 86 73 82
    9-16 76 86 73 83 76 88 N/A N/A
    17-24 all -
    25-32 all -

17-24 93 up to 100

only 3 have a number in the low 90

103s
    1-8 all 0
    6-16 last two 86 95
    17-24 90 99 88 95 0 0 90 88
    25-32 all N/A

99s
    1-8 0 82 0 82 0 0 N/A N/A
    9-16 last two 0 0
    17-24 62 80 0 0 41 60 0 0
    25-32 N/A

Let me know if I left anything out.

The reason I was not happy with Direct is I was led to belive that the protection plan I have would cover dish and all recivers and cabling. At least that is what I was told when I signed up. I just got a little hot about it being removed. The last time we had the roof replaced they left the dish up. And being this is a bigger dish and HD I thaught direct would/should reinstall. But it was not hard to realing with two people.

10. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    As long as you are happy with your signals. I hope the roofers don't readjust your work when they screw the rest of the bolts back in. I also hope they are anchored to rafters not just screwed into the sheathing.

11. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    You might need to tweak your dish a little bit to get a better signal especially on 99c

12. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    So, if you got drunk & upset one night and threw your dish off the roof in a fit of anger, should D* replace that under the Protection Plan? Of course not. The reason it is not covered in your situation is because the dish was moved by a 3rd party, plain and simple. Dish realignments are covered by the PP when things like wind or loose screws move the dish, not because the roof was redone.

13. cvos34

cvos34 Cool Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Renard, what should 99c be?