1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Realigning dish with SWM16

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Motleyfan, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Motleyfan

Motleyfan Mentor

Sep 13, 2007
    After the storms of the last few days I need to realign my dish. I am using an Acutrac22 Pro signal meter. I used this previously before I installed a SWM in the system without any issues. Question is can I put the meter inline like before (leaving the SWM) connected or do I need to bypass the SWM for the adjustment? I use the receiver to power the meter due to I am slow at aligning and don't want to run out of battery power on the meter.

I also have whole house DVR and DECA running. Didn't know if I need to deactivate the DECA prior to doing any alignment work either.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

2. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Your swim16 is communicating with a conventional LNB so it uses 13v/18v and some tone. You could use it to power your meter no DECA involved on that side of the switch. However, Jack could show up if your not careful and short a port on the switch leading to permanent damage. Waiting for replacement parts or a visit from a tech who might have the correct equipment could lead to more down time and expense, than unplugging the switch and recharging your meter if it dies.

3. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Before doing any adjustment examine the dish & mount. Probably the tilt has not moved.
    Probably the el has not moved unless something hit the arm...possibly damaging it too,

Probably the az has swung in one direction or another...so put a working mark on the mast and the dish mount so you can come back to where the az (compass direction) is now, for reference.

Examine the mast attachment. It is here most of the wind force etc does most damage. Are the bolts tight and does the mast move when you shake it?

Go from there.

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Joe

4. Motleyfan

Motleyfan Mentor

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks for the info... I'll just bypass the switch and use a single receiver to power the meter. I usually can't get it done in time without the meter battery dying.

Nick

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Using one or your receivers will be trickier than it appears. Because it is set for SWM, you will have to set it back to "multiswitch" mode before it will provide the proper voltage(s) to your Accutrac.

I would simply put the meter in-line between the LNB and the SMW16. Just be careful when connecting/disconnecting coax lines that you don't short anything out in the process. The same cautions apply if using a receiver, so there is no greater or lesser risk.